Thread: Does AZ have a law for short term disability to cover pregnancy?

Default Does AZ have a law for short term disability to cover pregnancy?

I have short term disability coverage and am getting ready to have a baby the middle of March. I do not have any paid time off that I can take, and due to financial strain am trying to find someway to be paid while I am off for maternity leave. I am only planning on taking three weeks, due to financial strain. I am wondering if in AZ the short term disability covers maternity leave, or is this optional for employers?

Super Moderator

No, Arizona does not have a state disability plan, and does not mandate that employers offer one.

It is optional on the part of the employer to provide one. While an employer is not required to offer disability benefits, IF they choose to do so, pregnancy must be provided with the same benefits as any other condition. On the other side of the coin, the employer is not required to provide any benefit sot pregnant workers that are not available to employees with other, non-maternity conditions.

Have you asked your employer whether maternity benefits are provided? They are in a far better position to know than we are.

Default replying

I have asked them about my maternity leave options, and I do not qualify for FMLA. My only option is to take leave without pay, because I do not have any time accrued as of yet.

I did find a website regarding grants, but had to close my browsers due to complications here today, and cannot find it now. Would you have any ideas as to such a thing for maternity grants?

Super Moderator

No, sorry, I've never heard of such a thing. That's not to say that they don't exist, just that I know nothing about them or how to apply for them if they do. Perhaps someone else will know.

I've never heard of that either, cbg. Perhaps some type of welfare assistance?
    Last edited by Pattymd; 02-08-2006 at 07:19 PM.

CBG & Patty...

The poster stated that she had STD coverage, why would she need to take unpaid leave?
    (Depending on STD contract there may be elimination days though...)

Did I misunderstand the original post.

Do you think the poster thinks that STD and FMLA are mutually exclusive?

Please clarify op, thanks.

Super Moderator

In maternity cases, STD generally only covers the time the woman is actually "disabled" due to pregnancy. I read the post that she was looking for some form of payment to cover the unpaid portion of her time off.

Default Does AZ have a law for short term disability to cover pregnancy?

Thank you for the responses. However, at the company I am working for the STD is not covered for pregnancy at all. I have no time off to take except for two days that I will be paid for. The remainder of the time will be unpaid. I am looking for something that cover pregnancy paid leave, anything at all. If it wasn't for financial strain I would not bother to keep looking, but due to financial strain I need to find something. I am only planning on taking three weeks as it is, and not even the full six to 12 weeks.

Thanks again for the responses I really appreciate the help and advise.

Dawn

"However, at the company I am working for the STD is not covered for pregnancy at all."

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but not covering pregnancy as a short term disability is a violation of Title VII Pregancy Discrimination law correct?

From EEOC fact sheet on pregnancy discrimination:

"Employees with pregnancy-related disabilities must be treated the same as other temporarily disabled employees for accrual and crediting of seniority, vacation calculation, pay increases, and temporary disability benefits."

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-preg.html

Am I reading this incorrectly.

Default Does AZ have a law for short term disability to cover pregnancy? Reply to Thread

Thank you so much actually I think this might help. I am going to give it a try. Thank you again for all of the information I hope this helps. I am basically not disabled at this time of my pregnancy, but you never know.

Dawn0499, I believe the law includes birth as a pregnancy related disability.

Not just term complications, if there are any.

Super Moderator

I agree; I think that eliminating maternity benefits from the STD may be a violation of the PDA.

By all means check with the EEOC.