Thread: OSHA and Shoes

Default OSHA and Shoes

This may sound petty, but I work in a large retail store, and my superiors said I could not wear a certain type of shoes because they did not have a full back. They said I had those shoes were not OSHA approved, but these shoes are worn in many hospitals. Are they just using OSHA as an excuse or is this a legitimate answer?

Super Moderator

OSHA or not, they have the right to establish the dress code and to prohibit certain kinds of shoes. I honestly don't know what OSHA's stand on shoes is but I do know that if the employer doesn't want particular shoes worn, they have the right to forbid them whether OSHA does or not.

The answer is both. Shoes can be considered a form of PPE (personal protective equipment). OSHA does have certain standards where specific hazards are present. Aside from that, cbg is correct, an employer is free to enforce dress code standards.

OSHA doesn't approve anything (shoes, hardhats, gloves, ect…. Many companies use OSHA as a scare tactic, but like what has been stated before companies can enforce dress code. I would check you dress code for the company and see if you need a close heel shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneISU
    OSHA doesn't approve anything (shoes, hardhats, gloves, ect…. Many companies use OSHA as a scare tactic, but like what has been stated before companies can enforce dress code. I would check you dress code for the company and see if you need a close heel shoe.

That is what I thought, I called them out on it, and then they wanted to sidestep the issue.

Hey Cycloe,

Where in the heck are you getting that info? THAT IS ABSOLUTELY, UNEQUIVOCALLY INCORRECT! You ought not mislead on topics that you have no expertise.

I can show you the exact code of law on OSHA's website, as well as interpretations for those standards:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ARDS&p_id=9786
    http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...RDS&p_id=10659
    http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owas...status=CURRENT
    http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owas...status=CURRENT

[QUOTE=bears00]Hey Cycloe,

Where in the heck are you getting that info? THAT IS ABSOLUTELY, UNEQUIVOCALLY INCORRECT! You ought not mislead on topics that you have no expertise.
    QUOTE]

bears00,

I hate to call you out because you are a senior poster and have helped a lot of people and I respect that; however, I wish you would read the standards that you are posting no were does it say that OSHA approves any type of shoe. They will only quote an ANSI standard. The reason behind this is because ANZI performs the test and they recommend the appropriate type of protective equipment. Just think of all of the law suites OSHA would have if they approved equipment. The equipment must meet or exceed a set of ANZI tests, and yes I have seen numerous times where employers will yell “because OSHA says so” because in reality they really don’t know. As far as my experience goes I have a degree in Occupational Safety from Iowa State University. I’m a certified Industrial Technician and soon to have my ASP. I work as a safety manager for the largest world wide material supplier for construction, and have been working for the last two years as a safety consultant on the side for construction for some of the largest companies in the United States. (AE, Rembrandt, Lincoln plating, ect…) I would like to think I know a thing or two about safety and OSHA standards.

CycloneISU

Pardon me for questioning. I never meant to insult you, nor your skills or expertise. For the strong response, I am truly sorry.

HOWEVER....

Maybe I should rephrase my response.

OSHA does not endorse any particular type of footwear, and only says that employer requirements must meet or exceed ANSI standards. That being said, OSHA does dictate that protective measures must be taken when particular hazards are present.

BY THE WAY....Nice to have you around.