Thread: OSHA Forklift Training

Question OSHA Forklift Training

I worked for other companies and they always made everybody go out to a 3rd party forklift trainer to get a certification. My new company is smaller but they do their own training, test, and give out certificates.

To certify forklift drivers do you have to be accredited or approved by anybody to do the training and certification? I'm just looking out for my new company. The training is good but before I've always been trained by the forklift distributor or something like that. Is my new company in the clear with OSHA and their Forklift training requirments.

OSHA sets out guidelines for the training, but does not give any qualification requirements for the trainers.

I have a friend of mine who is the Safety Manager at a mfg firm and actually does this training. He advises the following:

cfr1910.178(iii) All operator training and evaluation shall be conducted by persons who have the knowledge, training and experience to train operators..blah blah. As long as the person training these people can demonstrate to OSHA that they are qualified, ie: 5 years experience, and can answer OSHAs questions, then they don't need a certificate that says they are qualified, but they do have to follow OSHA guidelines for training the drivers. That said, it's always a good thing to have a train the trainer certificate in the file cause OSHA loves paperwork.

Exclamation Safety Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ILGer View Post
    I worked for other companies and they always made everybody go out to a 3rd party forklift trainer to get a certification. My new company is smaller but they do their own training, test, and give out certificates.

To certify forklift drivers do you have to be accredited or approved by anybody to do the training and certification? I'm just looking out for my new company. The training is good but before I've always been trained by the forklift distributor or something like that. Is my new company in the clear with OSHA and their Forklift training requirments.
    The training has to be in Compliance with OSHA standards, and the hands-on training portion has to be done by someone Certified to drive a forklift . If you want OSHA not to take a second look at your company, definetly hire Safety Professionals to so the Training!
    Last edited by cbg; 10-19-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Super Moderator

Another 2005 post. Additionally, advertising your services on the forum is not allowed.
    Last edited by cbg; 10-19-2007 at 11:51 AM.

Exclamation They should train the pedestrians as well.

It amazes me these days when I all I hear is Safety 1st and yet how little it seems to be of any real importance. I operate forklift for a living and due to production speed have to operate the forklift at what I would consider unsafe speeds..Especially when my normal direction of traffic is right down the center of the production floor with 20 or so employees buzzing around in various directions.

I take safety very seriously while I am driving. I know it only takes 1 second of the multiple years of seconds I have yet to work for me to become distracted or relaxed and accidentally hurt someone. And thats the last thing I would want to wake up knowing every day of my life. So I have done what I can...but what I don't understand is why don't companies train the employees how to safely work around moving forklifts. I literally have had people step in the middle of my forks while I was starting to do a 180 degree turn, or walk behind me as I am backing up from picking up a load. For some reason at the place I work, everyone comes to work with big strong magnets in their pockets as everywhere I go people are always around my forklift.

There could be simple guidelines that would increase safety for the workers.
    1) Don't allow yourself to tune out the horn.
    2) Stay ATLEAST 3 feet back from the forklift at all times.
    3) Attain Eye contact or Announce yourself before proceeding to walk directly in front or behind the forklift.
    4) Do not stop in the forklifts usual line of movement.
    5) Do not step in the middle of the forks.
    6) Forklifts have the right of way. Hence the horn, cute flashing yellow light, and the backup beacon. Dramatic stops from someone walking in front of a forklift can cause a load to become unstable, spill, or tip over.
    7) Keep the line of traffic clear of bins, waste, carts, etc that you want me to pick up. Do not assume you know that my forks are going to be empty when I come back, or that the world revolves around you more than the other 19 people. I have my own responsibilities to take care of too. At any one time I usually have already planned out what Ill be taking out to the warehouse and bringing in to the production floor for the next 3 trips and you weren't on it.
    8) Do not distract the driver by making a loud sound like he hit something. (As funny as it may be (the first 100 times)) Forklift drivers need all the time they can get too see any obstructions coming up...whether it be a person walking in front of them, height of ceiling, stability of the load, opening doorways, levelness of ground, or the person who seems to have tuned out the forklift. One distraction that causes me too suddenly look the opposite way then the way I am travelling means I no longer can see any of the items mentioned above.
    9) When I am getting ready to pick up a pallet you banded up, don't suddenly jump in between me on my very heavy forklift and the stationary bin you just banded up, so you can adjust it the 2" that would allow it to be perfectly lined up with my forks. For 1; you could be stabbed by a very very big butter knife, or smashed by the biggest bear hug you have ever gotten. For 2; I guarantee ya..if I can pick up 50 bins a day, put them on a scale and weigh them, stack them 4 high, or load them directly on a truck day in and day out...that I know how to work my forks to adjust for that 2". And For 3; I know you think you are helping me out..but your not, Your just slowing me down as the forklift now has to stop for you, when I could have just rammed that bin into submission and been in the warehouse by the time your done moving the bin and just started to realize that you just stepped into the middle of my forks.
    10) Lastly if your going to to turn off the gas..don't do it when the driver is still on the forklift. We'll just see you in the mirrors.

Anyways ...I think you probably get my vague point. I don't know the real list of guidelines. but again why don't companies spend the little of bit of time and use the copy machine and educate their employees with forklift pedestrian safety. I know it would only last a couple weeks but at least if I hurt someone because they decided to walk right behind my forklift, as I am picking up a load, and they decide to bend down and tie their shoe...I will know when I wake up feeling bad every morning, that they should have known better. They should have stayed at least 3 feet away, not tuned out my horn, announced their self before walking behind me, not stopping in my line of traffic, and remembered forklifts have the right of way..just look who got hurt.

Regards,
    Jeff

Super Moderator

pcmediahost, please do not reply to old threads. This thread was
    started 2005. I believe I will close thread since this isn't the first
    post we got to this old thread.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.