Thread: Whats Full Time Considered?

Default Whats Full Time Considered?

I have been working for the same employer for over 2 years now. When I was hired, I was hired as part time. However, I was promised that I would be bumped to full time. I work as a lube technician in the shop. I also do the ordering of supplies , dealing with irate customers, tire rotations, tire changes and so on. I work at least 36 hours every week, and the boss refuses to allow me to be considered full time. I want to know if i can collect unemployment from him if something happens, and if i can be considered full time with what I do? Also, what can I do about the bogusly promised full time spot? There has been two full timers that have left since I started, no positions were ever replaced for those two people. Technically there should be two open spots for full timers, but now the boss feels that its not needed. Is there anything I can do about being hired on false pretenses?

Default illinois law

I want to know for the state of Illinois.

Super Moderator

In all 50 states, full time is whatever the employer says it is. Many employers consider 36 hours a week to be part time.

If the boss does not feel that they need two full time spots, he is entitled to staff the shop that way.