Thread: emancipation in new york

Default emancipation in new york

Please help...
    my girlfriend will be 16 in august...and in new york at the age of 16 you are considered an adult in the eyes of court, and lately her mother and I have been feuding which puts tons of stress on her...

Understand she is 7 months pregnant and a big amount of stress can cause a premature birth. I am 17, and we have been talking, and she is thinking about gettin an emancipation from her parent...

Please tell me how to go about this...
    I Need All The Help I Can Get

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Murdock
    my girlfriend will be 16 in august...and in new york at the age of 16 you are considered an adult in the eyes of court, and lately her mother and I have been feuding which puts tons of stress on her...
    There is no state that considers a 16-year-old to be an adult. You may be able to be tried as an adult if you commit a crime, but that's an entirely different thing.

New York does not have an emancipation statute. However, I suppose (although I don't know for a fact) she could still petition the court for emancipation. She would have to prove, among other things, that it's really in her best interest to be emancipated, which is not always an easy thing to prove. She would also have to prove that she is capable of fully supporting herself and her child, and that means of support cannot be any form of government assistance. That's a pretty hard thing for a 16-year-old to do since most can only make minimum wage, and there are restrictions in the number of hours per day/week that they're allowed to work.

In the meantime, here's my personal advice--if you know this feud is stressing her out, then stop arguing with her mother. It might be difficult, but part of being a parent (which you're about to become) is doing what's best for your child (even when it's hard).
    Last edited by pty; 07-06-2005 at 12:19 AM.

I don't argue with her mother any longer, I apologized to her actually, Its just, she is in a stressful household, and her mother burdens her toooo much considering her daughter is pregnant, also the mother is goin to try to in a way take responsibility of that child, although its not her's, her mother is what you could call a tyrant, she takes her rights tooo far and brings upon stress for her daughter, and will bring upon stress even for the child, and I know that is not good, also, they do not limit hours on jobs here, when I was 16 I worked 40 hours a week.

Its just I don't know what to do, Its so hard being under these type of conditions, its very stressful, I know you may think he's 17, he doesn't know what stress is, but trust me when I say this, I do.

Especially being in love, if anyone that reads this was ever in deep love, you will know that being away from your significant other hurts, and I mean bad, and just think, with that significant other being pregnant, its harder...
    I'm scared..And Need some advice on how to go about things

My suggestion is to find another place to live with parental permission, or seek emancipation and explain to the court that you are pregnant, trying to be a good mother and the stress puts you at risk for premature labor and after the child is born, you also do not want the stress to impact your health and ability to care for your child. On a practical note, it would help to show that you would not be a burden to the state in terms of public benefits, but if you believe you need to be emancipated, it seems like enough is there for a petition to be taken seriously but it would help if you can show the court that you have support from the father, family friends, relatives, etc... who will help you out if you need it.

Thanx alot man...

You really helped me, I'm goin to try to go through the steps, and hopefully it works out, I know that I will help her, I'm the father of the baby, my parents will help her, they love her more then they do me LOL...My family will help as much as they can, she has agreed to gettin a job, I should have my job in the next week, and I will be supportin the babys every need as well as hers...

But thanx alot for the information, you really helped me out...You have no idea..

Default worried

My brother James and my mother dont always get along.My mother goes crazy sometimes on him for no reason.In the past three years my mom has been really fixed on god.She refers EVERYTHING to god.if something happens she would say pray for him or her or anything like that.About a year and a half ago my brother was caught smoking pot.and he hasnt done it sense.I try to tell my mom that but she doesnt believe me.Me and my brother never really got along to begin with i mean we never hated eachother but he just moved in with us a year ago.We are only half brother and sister.But now since he has moved in we are realy close and he tells me everything.And he never lies to me because i know when he does and even if he did he couldnt hold it long because he would confront me and say what really happened!My mom doesnt understand that and she is so parinoid.She snoops through my brothers things when hes not here and through his car.I mean he is 17 years old and she still doesnt give him any credit she thinks that he is going to end up like my uncle because my uncle has been in jail for drugs and we dont know where he is.But to sum this all up my brother wants to get emacipated from my mom and move in with his father simply because my mom goes crazy on him....and tends to go pretty pyshco when things happen like this.She never trusts him and my brother doesnt deserve this!!He has been looking for ways to get emancipated but he cant find any so would you please help me by helping him .......Im sorry i just have one last thing to tell you...One day me and my brother were coming home from school.We got out of his car and we found a cigarette but on the the ground.Because the people that live upstairs smoke ALOT.James brought it inside and got the scissors and went in the bathroom with the door open.I watched him cut up the cigarette and flush it down the toilet becuase i was in there too.My mom comes home and flips out going why does it smell like smoke in here and it didnt smell anything like smoke.The she goes in the bathroom and sees that there is still a little bit of the cigarette in the toilet and then she goes crazy accusing jim of it right away and grounding him.And sometimes jim comes home smelling liek smoke because his father smokes and so does his aunt and uncle and every other weekend he stays with them.My mom automatically thinks that hes been smoking.She really needs to back off jim.And even though im going to miss him i really think it would be best if he got emancipated so that he doesnt have to go through this anymore.And i can only imagine what its going to be like for me and my younger brother

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Murdock View Post
    Please help...

Understand she is 7 months pregnant and a big amount of stress can cause a premature birth. I am 17, and we have been talking, and she is thinking about gettin an emancipation from her parent...

Please tell me how to go about this...
    I Need All The Help I Can Get

i was emancipated in the state of newyork
    i am only 16 and i am married to a 17 year old
    i was married in the niagra county
    and was legaly emancipated by the judge that married us
    it is the law any where and every where that when you are under age and get married u get emancipated at the same time
    the only down side is you have to have a parents signature to be married that young the plus side though is that u dont havta go through all the BS of trying to a judge to emancipate u
    i hope everything works out for yall i know how it feels to be put in that situation good luck

Quote Originally Posted by married _ young View Post
    i was emancipated in the state of newyork
    i am only 16 and i am married to a 17 year old
    i was married in the niagra county
    and was legaly emancipated by the judge that married us
    it is the law any where and every where that when you are under age and get married u get emancipated at the same time
    the only down side is you have to have a parents signature to be married that young the plus side though is that u dont havta go through all the BS of trying to a judge to emancipate u
    i hope everything works out for yall i know how it feels to be put in that situation good luck
    This is a very old thread. Look at the dates of the last post before posting because ressurecting old threads can cause confusion.

Also, marrying at a young age is NEVER a good way to be emanciapted. Years from now, you'll realize this is true. Hopefully things will work out for you, but everyone I've ever met who married very young (myself included) regretted it years later.

Thumbs up Same Boat

Believe me when I tell you, I understand what your girl friend is feeling. My Boyfriend is pretty much in your shoes right now...except I'm not pregnant.
    My mom Did of Course had me raising her children,cleaning her house and not allowing me to do homework and Work The Hours That I needed to work.
    She screwed over my chances of earning financial aid for school and beacuse of her constant stress I wasnt able to study and failed my very first college exam!
    I am one to always say never blame anyone else but I've learned that as long as someone is living at home Parents are always in control.I am only 17 and in my first semester of college.Six months ahead of my graduating class and six months away till I turn 18. I have finally took control of my life & desided to stand up to my mom and tell her i'm going to live with my grandmother.With Nothing but my school books and the clothes on my back I have started my life over again.I myself am looking into "Emancipation" laws.For it is something I am greatly considering. My mom threatened to take me to court to have her lagal bindidngs to me "removed".Basically She wants me emancipated, she wants nothing to do with me. But every job i go for says I must be 18,I cant Get my own apartment either.So Please be aware that things will get difficult but because you have a child on the way you have many options.I wouldnt be able to help you right off the back but please do your reaserch and let me know of anything important that you find out .
    I wish you the very best Let me Know How it goes .
    You can email me A response or any info to : msantiago813@gmail.com k Bye N Good luck!

Super Moderator

You, also, might try reading the dates of the thread. This one was started almost three years ago.