Thread: Dating A Minor in New York

Default Dating A Minor in New York

Hi all,

I'm currently a twenty-four year old girl dating a sixteen year old guy. Save the lectures I've heard it all before. If I wanted to be lectured I wouldn't be posting. I need help. My boyfriend's mother is extremely unreasonable. It's not just normal jealousy issues. The woman is depraved. She uses my boyfriend as a surrogate spouse and tries to convince him he doesnt need me and only needs her. At times I feel like she's trying to revert his psychological state to that of a twelve year old. I know we can't legally have sex, but is there anything my boyfriend's mother can do legally to stop us from seeing one another? I'm really at a loss at this point. Please any help is appreciated.

Super Moderator

but is there anything my boyfriend's mother can do legally to stop us from seeing one another?

Yes, there is. Since he is a minor, she can take out a restraining order forbidding you to come near him.

I did consider she may issue a restraining order. Can she do that if I haven't done anything wrong?

It doesn't matter if you've done anything wrong. As cbg stated, If she doesn't want you contacting him or any member of the household, she can file for a restraining/protective order prohibiting you from making further contact with him and any member of the household.

Dating is not illegal, but having sex is unless you have a yen to possibly become a sex offender. Also, there are other charges like contributing to the delinquency of a minor that are nonsexual that could be used against you under some circumstancs so be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by elklaw
    Also, there are other charges like contributing to the delinquency of a minor that are nonsexual that could be used against you under some circumstancs so be careful.

Could you elaborate on this for me?

Also, is there any way that if we were to go to court over a restraining order, would my boyfriend be allowed to testify?

Me again, I was wondering, once my boyfriend reaches age 17 (age of consent in New York), are his parents legally able to stop our relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by SakuraChan
    I was wondering, once my boyfriend reaches age 17 (age of consent in New York), are his parents legally able to stop our relationship?
    Yes. Until he turns 18 he is a minor, which means Mom and Dad have the right to decide who he is and isn't allowed to spend time with.