Thread: Georgia moving out 17....

Exclamation Georgia moving out 17....

16 and really wants out! I've messed up in the past and threatened my parents with the whole i'm leaving the minute i'm 17 and i've got a car and a decent paying job.My dad has already told me he is no longer paying my insurance---well let me rephrase that. He said he was taking my insurance out of his name and i will have to get my own. He's told me how to do all of this. He wants me out. He is very ready for me to leave. My mother on the other hand isn't. But i don't think they mind too much. They have kind of given me consent to move out. I will be 17 in January. so that's really soon! I just need out. I'm still in school and everything, but have a steady job and the money i need. Anyway, please let me know what i can do. Can i really just get up and leave? They won't call the law or anything... but i would like to know if thats really the case. I have a lot of friends who are a little bit older (17-20) and have moved out of their house at 17 without any problem... So HELP! let me know.*confused & frustrated.* CRAZILY! help me out.
    -Laine.

[[SIZE=4]COLOR=Magenta] MOVING OUT IS NOT EASY! EMAIL ME IF U NEED TO TALK.

[email]redneck_sweetie_69@yahoo.com

You need to file to become an emancipated minor. You will probably need to file that in juvenile court or family law court-- depends on what kind of court hears the case in your county. YOu sound responsible, so under the circumstances should have a good chance of emancipation being granted.

Default Emancipation

[SIZE=3]

So, Emancipation isn't a Georgia law. They don't have a set law for that. i have a friend who moved out at 17, her mom wouldn't let her go and she called the cops. The cop came and told her mother that she had to let her go because technically she was an adult. 17 is the legal age to move out. But i just have my questionsa bout it because i don't want to think that i can leave and me leave then my parents send the cops after me. Thanks.
    I'd appreciate you to reply!!!! PLZ!
    thnaks

well, you can expect your parents to call the law, but the cops can't do anything to you, for the fact that you are considered an adult at the age of 17. At 17 you can move out and not think nothing about it. I know in Florida you can move out when you are 16 and 17, if you are pregnant. Do what you gotta do...If you need to talk..email me.

Quote Originally Posted by kendra&steven
    but the cops can't do anything to you, for the fact that you are considered an adult at the age of 17. At 17 you can move out and not think nothing about it. I know in Florida you can move out when you are 16 and 17, if you are pregnant.
    As has been stated many times on these boards, you are not a legal adult at 17. And pregnancy does not make you a legal adult either. Anyone under the age of 18 is a minor—in every single state—and Mom and Dad (assuming they have custody) get to decide where you live.

I will admit that often the police are reluctant to get involved when a 17-year-old leaves home, in part because they are close to the age of legal adulthood (although they are NOT legal adults) and because it often becomes a case of 'bring the minor home/the minor runs away again'. However, that does not mean it’s legal to leave home at 17. And if the police refuse to do their job and bring you back home, then Mom and Dad can request a court order to have you returned home. Once that is issued, the police will follow it.

Twenty years ago the police were reluctant to get involved in domestic violence cases. Did that mean it was legal for someone to beat their spouse? Hell no. Did that mean there was nothing that could be done when this occurred? Hell no. It just meant that (in all likelihood) nothing would be done unless the victim was insistent about it.

I can promise you if your parents are insistent enough about having their minor child returned home, something will be done.

In both GA (even though there is no actual emancipation statute) and FL you can petition the court for emancipation. Without emancipation, you are subject to the control and authority of your parents until the age of 18.
    Last edited by pty; 12-13-2005 at 01:15 PM.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Laine1018 View Post
    [SIZE=3]

So, Emancipation isn't a Georgia law. They don't have a set law for that. i have a friend who moved out at 17, her mom wouldn't let her go and she called the cops. The cop came and told her mother that she had to let her go because technically she was an adult. 17 is the legal age to move out. But i just have my questionsa bout it because i don't want to think that i can leave and me leave then my parents send the cops after me. Thanks.
    I'd appreciate you to reply!!!! PLZ!
    thnaks

did your friend really do that? what are you scared of? well acually i would be too. i mean parents are so crazy and li know tha tmy mom would send the cops after me..are you SURE that the cops cant do anything? i have a runaway charge alread y and if i get another one i have to go to Juviile in CLayton county. so help me too! please!