Thread: Verbal Abuse / Alabama

Question Verbal Abuse / Alabama

Hi, Is there anyone out there who is privy to the verbal abuse laws in Alabama ? I'm not from that state, But I have a friend who needs help. Thanks

Super Moderator

I don't think there are any "verbal abuse" laws, per se. What exactly is being said that s/he feels is abusive? That will help determine if it is illegal or not.

Angry Verbal Abuse

Well, this person is being screamed at in front of their coworkers as well as trainee's. It's like the boss WANTS everyone to see it so this person can be humiliated. This worker is the only One I see him doing this to. The reason is I feel they want to get rid of this employee hoping they will just quit on therr own due to an illness that was recently diagnosed and also is getting close to retirement. Others in the company get rewarded for their work, this one does TWICE the amount they do and gets nothing except chewed out.....
    Last edited by Truth_Seeker; 11-09-2005 at 09:37 AM.

The reason is I feel they want to get rid of this employee hoping they will just quit on therr own due to an illness that was recently diagnosed and also is getting close to retirement. If those are the reasons the boss is singling this person out for abuse, then that may well be prohibited. There could be violations of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and the ADEA (Age Discrimination in Employment Act.)

Is this employee likely to go to HR and speak up about what's going on? If not, can you alert HR/senior company management to the situation? No matter who tells the employer that prohibited discrimination may be taking place, the company is then legally obligated to investigate and to put a stop to it if they determine discrimination is occuring. (Someone should put a stop to it even if this isn't discrimination. Nobody should be treated this way. Period.)