Thread: 17 yr old wants to move out and live with a her 25 yr boyfriend (State of New York)

Question 17 yr old wants to move out and live with a her 25 yr boyfriend (State of New York)

I am 16 yrs old turning 17 in January. I've been dating my boyfriend who's 25 for almost 2 yrs now. My parents know about the age difference between us but everytime they get mad they say they will call the cops and have him arrested. Is that possible even though they knew how old he was from the very start? Also, I dont get along with my parents and am physically and mentally abused, I want to move out ASAP without their permission and without involving the authorities. Any suggestions,advice?? I cant live with them any longer, I really need help and some answers. Thank you!

It is not about the boyfriend, but you being age 17. Until you are at the age of majority, you need to do what your parents say and stop saying you will move out. When you are age 18, you can do whatever you want and if you do not want to stay with your parents, you can move in with the boyfriend, but that may not be a good idea since it sounds unstable and maybe not something you are emotionally ready for.

Thumbs up Reply

There is no reason why you should not move out if it is what you really want. As far as I am aware in England anyway you can move out at sixteen and seventeen without parental concent. You will have to check the laws for where you live but, you should do what your heart tells you and you feal is best. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliance
    There is no reason why you should not move out if it is what you really want. As far as I am aware in England anyway you can move out at sixteen and seventeen without parental concent. You will have to check the laws for where you live but, you should do what your heart tells you and you feal is best. Good luck.
    If you are going to post answers on forums like this, you need to READ the WHOLE question, and respond with an answer that at least gives some kind of RELEVANT advice. You have done neither.

First- The poster is in THE STATE OF NEW YORK, USA. The laws in England have NOTHING to do whatsoever in America.

Second- There are MANY reasons that the poster cannot LEGALLY move out.

Third- Telling the popster to "do what your heart tells you..." is an excellant way to get the poster's boyfriend arrested and sent to PRISON.

For everyone's sakes, please post only responses that are relevant and helpful.
    Xena

ghettob090 - It is easy to pack up your things and move out or runaway with the person you most care about but unfortunately the law prevents you from doing so at your age.

You should think of the worst before pushing your parents too far. The worst is:

1. Have your significant other arrested because your legal guardians has the right to by law.

2. Have a restraining order put against your significant other until you become legal age which will keep the two of you from seeing each other or communicating with one another.

If your significant other cares for you the way he does, I'm sure he will be there when the time is right when the law allows you to be with him.

About your parents abusing you, I am sure there is something that you can do. Try this website that can maybe help you with the questions of child abuse http://www.childhelpusa.org

Maybe you can move out with a close relative. Your life may be worse or better but that is a chance you'll be taking. Good luck.

wandasmommy

Default when shes 18 she can move out not untill then.

Quote Originally Posted by amc21

Maybe you can move out with a close relative.
    untill she is 18, she cant move anywhere without her parents permission. and she certainly isnt going to be living with her ADULT boyfriend. she has no choice but to live at home for at least another year.

Kelly, this thread (as I am sure you know) is 9 months old. Knock it off.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)