Thread: Unsupervised Probation Question

Default Unsupervised Probation Question

I am from the state of Idaho and was curious. I have been on felony probation for 4 years. I have one year left of my sentence and it has just been passed through the court and my PO called me today and told me that the judge signed my paperwork, saying that my terms and conditions of probation still apply. But I am now on unsupervised probation and that I don't do not need his permission to leave the state or I dont have to go to anymore classes if i don't want to and that i am not under his supervision anymore but under the supervision of the court. What exactly does this mean for me? Can i still get a UA? If i had people at my house drinking a beer could my PO show up to my house? What if i am at a bar and see my PO? Could he arrest me? I have herd that as long as i don't break any laws, that i will be fine.

It's difficult to answer your questions since they all depend on the terms of your probation. You should be asking your PO all of these questions. S/he would be able to tell you the answer to each one. Don't be emarassed to ask either - I'm sure they've all heard weirder questions.

It depends on the conditions of probation and of this probation program. I suggest that you talk over what you are asking about wit the probation office to make sure it is ok

Okay, first of all let me say that I speak from experience.
    I served 8 years in Prison for felony theft and then was released onto Supervised Parole followed by 10 years of Supervised Probation.

After over 5 years on the outside, I have never once been violated, gave a reason to be violated or failed to follow any and all of my probation officer or the Courts directions.

The same however cannot be said for a great many indiviuals in similar situations.

Undoubedtly there is one condition either issued by the probation department or by the court itself which almost always comes into play. "I will follow any and all directions and instructions issued to me by my Supervising Probation Officer and/or the Court"

Within this one condition lays the frame work for a violation should you ever fail to adhere completely to it.

My experience, take it as you wish, tells me that if you need to ask if something can get you either arrested or violated...DO NOT DO IT! It is far simpler to just walk away from whatever it is and ask for permission to do that which you are unsure of at that time.

Another golden rule for you: Assume nothing! If you're wrong in your assumption, well...it aint fun.

and TWO: ALWAYS ASK BEFORE YOU ACT.

THREE: Get answers to the questions you ask IN WRITING and keep them safe with someone who will be able to access them in the event you cannot to prove your statements because it will always be a PO's word over your's unless you have hard proof...like a written travel pass from your PO to you establishing permission for you to go from point A to point B and back on specific times for a specific purpose.

I hope that helps you.

Great input Sosee! Except the last post was....
    11-14-2005, 10:05 PM
    ...2 years, 6 months, 21 days ago.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Quote Originally Posted by Sosee View Post
    After over 5 years on the outside, I have never once been violated, gave a reason to be violated or failed to follow any and all of my probation officer or the Courts directions.
    Good for you. It's always a little disheartening to see people go in and out of the system on VOPs.

You make a very good point about documentation. Since the standard for probation hearings is only preponderance of the evidence and many probationers are incredibly disorganized, I sometimes wonder if people get violated just for not keeping track of there stuff. It's hard to say since so many of them lie constantly.

The biggest thing that I'd try to get if I were on probation is receipts for fines and documentation for visits. Then get copies. One for someone on the outside and one to keep nearby at all times. It needs to be accessible so that you can grab it quickly if deputies ever come to arrest you. Deputies aren't going to let you search around for paperwork to use at the hearing. They might let you grab one envelope.
    Militant Agnostic- I don't know and you don't know either.

Yea. The original post is dated to be certain, but if someone more recent reads it, I hope they take away the fact that what i said still applies.

Documentation and yes DEFINTELY have copies made. If you have a lawyer, give him copies to hold in your file or give them to someone that will be around in the event you nee to prove your assertions. It is a fact that once the deptuies show, there will be little chance for anyone to grab paperwork.