Thread: Mileage Reimbursement Florida

Default Mileage Reimbursement Florida

HI, I'm just trying to find out if there is a mandated minimum mileage reimbursement for hourly employees. I have looked in www.leg.state.fl.us but it does not have any statutes for mileage reimbursement. I have found policies of employers stating an amount and that it corresponds to Florida law but have yet to find such a law. Thank you and I hope I provided enough information.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_johnsonka
    HI, I'm just trying to find out if there is a mandated minimum mileage reimbursement for hourly employees. I have looked in www.leg.state.fl.us but it does not have any statutes for mileage reimbursement. I have found policies of employers stating an amount and that it corresponds to Florida law but have yet to find such a law. Thank you and I hope I provided enough information.
    Sorry, but I don't believe that Florida has any statutes pertaining to a specific amount or minimum amount of mileage reimbursement. I was told at one time that each employer can set thier own amount. Yea, it sucks, but there isn't much to protect employees in Florida.

Since you couldn't find anything in the Fl statutes you could try to see if you can find anything in the U.S. Codes http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/#Titles or the tax law http://taxlaw.state.fl.us
    xena

Federal IRS regulations state what the allowable deductible business-mileage amount is and many employers use that as their guideline for reimbursing employees for their business travel. That does not obligate an employer to do so however. I believe CA is the only State that requires employers to reimburse employees for their business expenses. I can tell you for certain Florida has no such statute.

If my employer chooses to reimburse at a rate below the national IRS rate, can I claim the additional expense as an unreimbursed work expense?

Super Moderator

I believe so, yes, but you will need to confirm that with your tax advisor.

Default Mileage reimbursement

I'm new to this so any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Scenerio:
    I'm with company A and is located in city A. In the past, my brother and I have always reported to the office first before we get dispatched to a field job if there is any. For each job we are dispatched to, we would get mileage reimbursement from our office to our client's office because we use our own vehicle.

A couple months back, we have acquired a big client X and our boss has told my brother and I that we would be going directly to the client's office which is located in city B which is a total of 70 mileags round trip. At that time, we would get reimburse for the mileage from our home to the client's site.

Recently, we were told that they would no longer reimburse us for the mileage from our home to the client's site anymore because they were paying too much for mileage reimbursement and are starting to cut back on unnecessary cost. They would only pay us the calculated mileage from the office to the client's site instead from our house. That total mileage is 36 miles.

Today, we were told that they are not reimbursing us mileage anymore because they said that Client X is now our new office location eventhough there never was a contractual agreement.

We feel that we are forced to use our own vehicle to do business work at expense of our own vehicle (i.e. mileage and vehicle maintenance). And if we don't comply, they may release us.

Does Florida have any Mileage Reimbursement laws and regulation stating situation like this for the employee(s)?

Appreciate all your ideas, suggestions and if any legal advises?

Didn't you read the information provided in this (very old thread)? There is still no such law in Florida, under any circumstances.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Super Moderator

There are only two states where mileage reimbursement is ever required by law. Florida is neither of them.

Default Which States require mileage reimbursment?

Which two states do require mileage to be reimbursed?

Super Moderator

Massachusetts (in some but not all situation) and California.

Next time, please start your own thread.