Thread: Age of Sexual Consent in South Carolina

Exclamation Age of Sexual Consent in South Carolina

What is the age for sexual consent in SC. I have seen three different ages beginning with 14, 15, and 16. My son is 18 and his girlfriend is 15. She thinks she may be pregnant. She said that her parents will 100% press charges on my son. I need info and advice. Please help.

*South Carolina*

Although I cannot offer you legal advice, I can provide you an answer to your questions regarding the law. The South Carolina Constitution provides an answer to your question - no unmarried woman may legally consent to sexual intercourse unless they are at least 14 years old. Although this is in the state Constitution, 14 is not the ultimate age of consent. Recent changes in South Carolina law make it illegal for a person to engage in deviate sexual intercourse or sexual contact with a child under the age of 16 if that person is three years older than the child. According to that statute, if a child is between 14 and 16 years of age, they may consent to sexual intercourse with a person who is not three years older or under the age of 14. This law makes 16 the ultimate age of consent. However, it is against the law for a person over the age of 14 to commit or attempt a lewd act upon a child under the age of 16. There is also a "Fornication" law that makes it illegal for your son and his girlfriend to engage in sexual intercourse if they are not married. This law does leave a window of opportunity for district attorneys to prosecute those who violate it.

Summary: After reading these laws, THEY LEAD ME TO BELIEVE THE FOLLOWING: If your son and his girlfriend are within three years of age, he cannot be prosecuted for sexual enticement of a minor unless they were engaging in deviate sexual intercourse or sexual contact before his girlfriend turned 14. He can, however, be prosecuted for Committing or Attempting a Lewd Act Upon a Child Under the Age of 16 and Fornication.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Age of majority is 18.
    To marry:
    South Carolina

If you are under 18, you will need a certified copy of your birth certificate and a notarized statement of parental consent.

The minimum age for a female is 14 and it is 16 for a male.

There may be judicial bypass in place of notarized statement of parental consent.

For information on teen pregnancy rights,
    http://www.jlc.org/home/mediacenter/...s/FAQTPAP.html

Default age of consent

Your post about the age of consent in SC was wrong then and wrong today.

For a full discussion of the law go to
    http://forums.goupstate.com/eve/foru...&cf=6961098265