Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44

Thread: 17 year old wants to move out

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1

    Default 17 year old wants to move out

    Im 17 and I live in Georgia. I want to know if I could move out on my own without parents permission?? I also would like to know if I have to get a emancipation form filled out in the State of Georgia? Please help me!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,926

    Default

    emancipation in GA has to be done judicially meaning you would have to seek permission thru the courts. There is no formal statute. Click on link and scroll to GA and it has the case that allows for judicial emancipation. http://laborlawtalk.com/newreply.php...uote=1&p=24755

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    36

    Unhappy want to move out at 17 in ohio

    i want to move out when i turn 17. i am 16 now but i have to wait 7 months untill i turn 17. do i need my parents permission or the courts permission?
    please help me!!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1

    Default im 16 and i want to move out with family member

    please help me im trying to move out but i dont know if i can do that, how can i get it dont please let me know or what can i do

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1

    Default i am 17 and want to move out of my parents house in michigan

    can i do it?
    i have a boyfriend, and he lives with his parents and i live with mine. the problem is my parents can be crazy. i turned 17, and was hoping i could move out, but a friend said i couldnt.
    Last edited by rainboe; 02-22-2006 at 06:11 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    727

    Default 16-year-old moving in with relative

    Quote Originally Posted by brandon107
    im trying to move out but i dont know if i can do that, how can i get it dont please let me know or what can i do
    Ask your parents for permission to move in with this relative. If your parents aren't willing to allow it, then you can't do it unless a court awards this relative custody/guardianship of you, and basically that won't happen unless your parents are proven to be unfit.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    727

    Default moving out at 17 in ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by StaR
    i want to move out when i turn 17. i am 16 now but i have to wait 7 months untill i turn 17. do i need my parents permission or the courts permission?
    Per the Ohio State Bar Association:

    As a general rule, a child is “emancipated,” or freed from parental control, care and custody, upon reaching the age of 18 or upon graduation from high school if a child turns 18 in his or her senior year. In Ohio, emancipation also can occur before that time if the child gets married or joins the military service. While many people think that someone under 18 can go to court and “get emancipated,” Ohio law does not provide for such a court order.

    http://www.ohiobar.org/pub/lycu/index.asp?articleid=300

    In order to leave home at 17 (unless you're married or in the military) you would need parental consent.


    *****

    Oops! This particular question was from August 2005! That's why I hate it when people add on to these old threads instead of starting new ones. At any rate, I'm going to leave my response for others you might 'visit' and have this same question
    Last edited by pty; 02-22-2006 at 06:39 AM.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1

    Question

    yea im 16 and i want to live with another relitive how do i get this kind of information can you please HELP!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5

    Exclamation Better.....

    Ok its better to have permission or just wait til your 18 but if you really want to move out before then you either need to get permisson from your parents but if you cant do that you would have to go through the courts most of the time it takes 6 months to a year its a pretty long process and it does cost you but anyways if you want to move out w/out parents permission thats what you will have to do, and if you just want to live w/anthor realitive try to put up a good argument w//your parents explain why u want to move out and stuff like that, but if that doesnt work go for the emancipation remember on that you have to have a good reason and it can not be because your parents are to strict or you hate your parents has to be a good reason and remember that once your emancipated your parents do not have any resopnsibility for you all your food, rent, bills, and etc. are your responsibilty anyways thats my advice for this.

  10. #10

    Default moving out at 17

    do i need my dads permission to move out

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3

    Thumbs up

    then join the military

  12. #12

    Default

    iM 17 YEARS OlD AND WOUlD liKE TO KNOW iF iM ABLE TO MOVE OUT AND iN WiTH SOMEONE THAT iS 18 YEARS OlD?? WiTHOUT A PARENT CONSENT!

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,502

    Default

    Not without parental consent, no.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default Moving out at 17

    Son lives with mom who has custody in georgia. Mom let son go live with dad in tennessee then changed her mind a couple of months later and made him come back. he is now 17 and stayed the entire summer of 2006 and does not want to go back home. he will turn 18 april 2007. dad can't file for a custody change because of a warrant in georgia for back child support. if son refuses to go back home can dad be charged with any type of kidnapping?

    Also if son calls police in georgia and mom in georgia everyday can she still file a missing persons?

    dad has moved recently and mom does not know where dad has moved to. if son refuses to go home and doesn't get caught what happens when he turns 18?

    can mom declare him a runaway even though she knows he is with dad.

    thanks for your valuable time

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niteshift
    Son lives with mom who has custody in georgia. Mom let son go live with dad in tennessee then changed her mind a couple of months later and made him come back. he is now 17 and stayed the entire summer of 2006 and does not want to go back home. he will turn 18 april 2007. dad can't file for a custody change because of a warrant in georgia for back child support. if son refuses to go back home can dad be charged with any type of kidnapping?

    Also if son calls police in georgia and mom in georgia everyday can she still file a missing persons?

    dad has moved recently and mom does not know where dad has moved to. if son refuses to go home and doesn't get caught what happens when he turns 18?

    can mom declare him a runaway even though she knows he is with dad.

    thanks for your valuable time
    Yes he can be charged with kidnapping, and not sending son home is an excellant way for Dad to be arrested for nonpayment of CS in addition to the kidnapping charges.

    As soon as Dad's visitation end Mom can file a report if son is not returned.

    Even when son turns 18 Dad can still be arrested for kidnapping and nonpayment of CS. If the court order requires him to report his address to the court he can add another charge of contempt to the growing list of ways he can be jailed.

    Yes, Mom can certainly declare him a runaway even if she knows where he's at.

    Dad needs to:
    1. Send son home at the correct time.
    2. Begin paying on-going CS
    3. Make arrangements with the court or CSE to begin paying arrears.
    4. File for custody change if he truly believes son is better off staying with him.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default Law Library of Congress says

    that in georgia it is not a criminal offense for a parent to abduct there own child. can anyone explain this as well.

    It states and I quote in full.

    "Parental kidnapping is not considered a criminal offense in Georgia. Only those who abduct somebody else's child may bear criminal responsibility for a child's abduction. Hence, biological and/or adoptive parents may not be prosecuted as kidnappers or child abductors. In cases of disagreement among divorced or separated parents, the abduction of one's own child from the other parent or from an orphanage or another special institution is not considered to be an abduction under Georgian criminal legislation. It may be labeled as an arrogation, which is the "unwarranted exercise in violation of a legally established order, of one's actual or supposed right, causing substantial harm to citizens or to the state or social organizations." Arrogation is punishable by correctional work for a term up to 6 months, or by fine, or by a social censure. The Law also prohibits prosecuting close relatives of a child (ie grandparents) for abduction, if they acted for the sake of the child, even if the interests of the child were misunderstood."

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niteshift
    that in georgia it is not a criminal offense for a parent to abduct there own child. can anyone explain this as well.

    It states and I quote in full.

    "Parental kidnapping is not considered a criminal offense in Georgia. Only those who abduct somebody else's child may bear criminal responsibility for a child's abduction. Hence, biological and/or adoptive parents may not be prosecuted as kidnappers or child abductors. In cases of disagreement among divorced or separated parents, the abduction of one's own child from the other parent or from an orphanage or another special institution is not considered to be an abduction under Georgian criminal legislation. It may be labeled as an arrogation, which is the "unwarranted exercise in violation of a legally established order, of one's actual or supposed right, causing substantial harm to citizens or to the state or social organizations." Arrogation is punishable by correctional work for a term up to 6 months, or by fine, or by a social censure. The Law also prohibits prosecuting close relatives of a child (ie grandparents) for abduction, if they acted for the sake of the child, even if the interests of the child were misunderstood."
    Have you read the GEORGIA codes?
    If not, you really need to. I can't tell by your post if you are the Dad, the son, or someone else, but at any rate Dad will be treading in very dangerous waters if he doesn't straighten up and do what the laws and the court orders say.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default I am the step mom married to the dad

    So what it says in the law library of congress does not mean anything? Thanks

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ohio via tx
    Posts
    7,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niteshift
    So what it says in the law library of congress does not mean anything? Thanks
    No, that means that a parent that kidnaps their own child is not subject to Meagan's Law. It is still illegal for a parent to willfully defy a court order dictating custody of a child. Interference with custody is one charge the parent could face. If the parent takes the child across state lines or out of the country, a whole new set of statutes comes into play.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default My post has nothing to do with Megans Law

    Please read what the law library of congress says about a parental kidnapping in the state of georgia that it is not a criminal offense. Thanks

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ohio via tx
    Posts
    7,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niteshift
    Please read what the law library of congress says about a parental kidnapping in the state of georgia that it is not a criminal offense. Thanks
    I did. I also read the Georgia codes. The only time parental kidnapping is mentioned is in regard to exclusion of being charged under Megan's Law. It is still a crime IN GEORGIA to defy a custody order. (Georgia statute 16-5-45) Here is a chart for all 50 states as to what statutes and penalties are provided for this topic (custodial interference). It also lists under what circumstances the statutes come into play. If you read it, you will see that the first two convictions of custodial interference in Georgia are misdemeanors with the third being bumped up to a felony if the offense is an instate offense. If the offense is out of state, the first offense is a felony.

    www.cybertip.org/en_US/documents/CrimCustodInterfStatutes.pdf
    Last edited by mommyof4; 07-25-2006 at 10:42 AM.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default Again I ask

    So then again i ask then this law library of Congress means nothing? Thanks

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ohio via tx
    Posts
    7,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niteshift
    So then again i ask then this law library of Congress means nothing? Thanks
    And for the last time I am telling you that parental kidnapping is excluded from being prosecuted under the MEGAN'S LAW. That is the purpose behind the library of congress statement, just as it is listed in Georgia's code. For your situation, it is a worthless find. Custodial interference is a recognized and legislated offense in Georgia. I cannot give you any clearer answer. It is not worthless. It IS worthless to you. For this type of situation, the state law will trump federal law. Federal law comes into play when the state has no statutes for a certain situation. (Just like the federally mandated labor laws. If the state has no specific law for a certain labor situation, the federal law applies.) Understand now? Georgia has mandated laws on custodial interference. Therefore, that is the law you go by in dealing with custodial interference in Georgia.
    Last edited by mommyof4; 07-25-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1

    Default i want to move

    i will soon be 17 and i had it with my parents. can i move out without my parents permission and get help from the outrside world? can i just disown myself from these people who the public calls a family?

  25. #25
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    What state do you live in? And what do you mean by "help from the outside world"?

  26. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default I'm 17, live in New York, and I want to move out.

    I've been informed by numerous people stating that as a 17 year old in N.Y that I'm allowed the right to leave home if allowed by the parent. I am 17, I work F/T at a Financial Service's Company. I am getting my GED in November of '07. My home life isn't the best. Me and my mother are the only one's living in my house. I am living at a one bedroom apartment and am currently sleeping on the pull out couch bed in the living room. My question is if it would be legal to move out now, or would i have to reside here until i hit 18 next June. Any help would be great. Thank you for your time.

    Sincerely,
    Denise

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee0601 View Post
    I've been informed by numerous people stating that as a 17 year old in N.Y that I'm allowed the right to leave home if allowed by the parent. I am 17, I work F/T at a Financial Service's Company. I am getting my GED in November of '07. My home life isn't the best. Me and my mother are the only one's living in my house. I am living at a one bedroom apartment and am currently sleeping on the pull out couch bed in the living room. My question is if it would be legal to move out now, or would i have to reside here until i hit 18 next June. Any help would be great. Thank you for your time.

    Sincerely,
    Denise
    No, they were wrong, the age of majority (when you can move out) in New York, is 18. If your mom does not want you to move, you can't until you are 18 plain and simple. You can move out before you are 18, if:
    1. You get married
    2. You join the services
    Both of these require parental consent, so once again, without parental consent, you are stuck there until you are 18. Sorry!

    Here is a site that explains all of this.


    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_mo...17_in_New_York
    Last edited by turbowray; 07-05-2007 at 05:25 PM.

  28. #28

    Exclamation I am 17 in six months....how can I get out now?

    I've had struggles over the past year and was wondering if I could move into a friends house, legally without having any "court sessions," without my parents permitting it? If so, please help me. (I messed up on the subject. I will be 18 in six months.)
    Last edited by lostindistress; 03-13-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: I typed the wrong age in the subject.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ohio via tx
    Posts
    7,662

    Default

    Please start your own thread AFTER you read through all of the threads that address your question.

    If you don't want to read, I'll give you the simple answer:

    No.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostindistress View Post
    I've had struggles over the past year and was wondering if I could move into a friends house, legally without having any "court sessions," without my parents permitting it? If so, please help me. (I messed up on the subject. I will be 18 in six months.)
    No.

    If you want a more detailed response, start your own thread.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

    I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

    Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 16 year old leaving home to live with a 21 year old in north carolina
    By sharon112751 in forum North Carolina Family Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2006, 06:36 AM
  2. Moving out at 17
    By kuzii06 in forum Emancipation Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 10:43 PM
  3. I'm a 16 year old with a 19 year old
    By m0rbid_lette in forum Illinois Family Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 12:49 PM
  4. My son wants to move out at 17
    By Jo Davis in forum Family Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 10:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •