Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17 in Georgia, need to move out

Question 17 in Georgia, need to move out

I live in Douglasville, Georgia. My parents are giving me a very hard time at home and I was wondering if I can move out of the house without their permission. And if I do, what will happen? I have a great job and I get paid really good, the place I wanna go to is very safe and is a lot bigger and better, I'll actually get my own room, I must get out of here, whatever it takes! Please help!

You have a few options. Move out and in with relatives or family friends with your parents' permission. Or if you have a grandparent or adult you can live with, ask your parents to let them become your legal guardian. Or you would need to apply to become an emancipated minor though Georgia has no law in place for this.
    Info on the emancipated minor process
    http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/uni...rs/index.shtml
    http://www.jlc.org/home/mediacenter/...ncipUSA.html#g

Default legal adult at 17

in GA ur a legal adult at 17..

Wink Can someone please help?

I turned 16 in march and my boyfriend turned 20 on june 6th. I live with my grandparents and they highly disapprove of us being together however my mom has legal custody of me and she doesn't care if we are together. I'm wanting to move out of my granparents and move in with him in a couple of months does anybody know if that is legal or how i would go about doing that in the state of Kansas?

PLEASE HELP!!
    Lexie

I wanted to make a quick correction...

In response to the reply posted by "hopelessly in love", there isn't a single state in the United States that considers a 17 year old a "legal" adult. You must be at least 18 in all 50 states to qualify as a legal adult.

yes, 18 to be a legal adult. But in georgia at 17 you can move out, not being concidered a runaway, and u get arrested and charged as an adult

This is directed towards Citrusdrop...

in georgia, you can move out and not be considered a runaway or get arrested?

Quote Originally Posted by elklaw
    You have a few options. Move out and in with relatives or family friends with your parents' permission. Or if you have a grandparent or adult you can live with, ask your parents to let them become your legal guardian. Or you would need to apply to become an emancipated minor though Georgia has no law in place for this.
    Info on the emancipated minor process
    http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/uni...rs/index.shtml
    http://www.jlc.org/home/mediacenter/...ncipUSA.html#g
    Actually, you CAN get emancipated in Georgia.
    http://www.youthcommunication-vox.org/301pg10.htm
    ^^ a few success stories.

Thumbs up reply

yes. in georgia, if u r 17, then u can move out and ur parents cant do anything. I know. I did it. My parents went to the police, they tried to file a report. They were told that at 17 i WAS the age of majority, and if they had comunicated with me, and knew that i wasnt in danger or a missing person, there was nothing that they could do.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by citrusdrop1688
    yes. in georgia, if u r 17, then u can move out and ur parents cant do anything. I know. I did it. My parents went to the police, they tried to file a report. They were told that at 17 i WAS the age of majority, and if they had comunicated with me, and knew that i wasnt in danger or a missing person, there was nothing that they could do.
    Oh wow, what a relief that is to know. I have been saving up the money on getting emacipated. [I living in Cumming, and I'm moving to Midtown Atlanta which does go over too well in this town]. A few people told me that I was able to do that at 17, I just wasn't completley sure. Thanks so much.

Georgia

I need to make a few corrections to some of the previous posts. For the most part, a lot of the information that has been provided is incorrect.

"Citrusdrop1688" stated that an officer told him/his parents that he was at the age of majority at 17. That is incorrect. Title 39 Section 1-1 states that the legal age of majority is 18 and that all persons under the age of 18 are considered minors. Considering this information, any minor that voluntarily leaves the care and control of their parents without the intent to return and without their parents permission can be reported as a missing child or runaway child. All missing children and runaway children will be entered into the National Crime Information Center.

According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, there are no laws that prohibit a peace officer from taking protective custody of a runaway child or missing child and returning that child to the person entitled to their possession. Therefore, a peace officer may take possession of a 17-year old, unemancipated, runaway child and return them to their parents. All such decisions are at the discretion of the agency making the report.

"Citrusdrop1688" stated that there is nothing a parent can do when their child runs away. That is incorrect. Although immediate action is at the discretion of the agency locating a missing child/runaway child, there is legal recourse for the parent of that child. A parent may petition an appropriate court for the return of their runaway child.

Take the information for what it is worth. Any person who believes that this information is incorrect may contact the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and speak to someone in the Georgia Missing Children Center Division.

okie dokie ive heard alot of things about the legal age to move out you can get amancapated but honestly its to much work cost money and the judges need a real good reason to agree to that my friend spent all that money and went to court and he turned her down..... one of my other friends said she called the police and they told her 17 was the age but they didnt say if it was with the concent of the parents or not if anyone knows the true facts on this issue if you wouldnt mind e mail me or im me at sweet2knownluv@yahoo.com thanx
    crystal
    ...ps ive heard so many things even from a counslur at school she said they changed the law and you had to be 18 but i dont know im so confused honesty is it worth all this work just to move out a year early when you got it made in the shade

Default moving out

is it LEGAL to move out of ur parents house at age 17

Quote Originally Posted by garedneck4life
    ACc gave a very detailed and accurate response to this question. No matter how many times the question is asked, the answer is still the same. You are NOT an adult at 17, and you cannot legally leave home without parent consent or emancipation.

Quote Originally Posted by ACc083
    Georgia

I need to make a few corrections to some of the previous posts. For the most part, a lot of the information that has been provided is incorrect.

"Citrusdrop1688" stated that an officer told him/his parents that he was at the age of majority at 17. That is incorrect. Title 39 Section 1-1 states that the legal age of majority is 18 and that all persons under the age of 18 are considered minors. Considering this information, any minor that voluntarily leaves the care and control of their parents without the intent to return and without their parents permission can be reported as a missing child or runaway child. All missing children and runaway children will be entered into the National Crime Information Center.

According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, there are no laws that prohibit a peace officer from taking protective custody of a runaway child or missing child and returning that child to the person entitled to their possession. Therefore, a peace officer may take possession of a 17-year old, unemancipated, runaway child and return them to their parents. All such decisions are at the discretion of the agency making the report.

"Citrusdrop1688" stated that there is nothing a parent can do when their child runs away. That is incorrect. Although immediate action is at the discretion of the agency locating a missing child/runaway child, there is legal recourse for the parent of that child. A parent may petition an appropriate court for the return of their runaway child.

Quote Originally Posted by garedneck4life
    Before ANYONE even thinks about taking this statement as truth, read the posters name. I think that really says it all!

Default Georgia

My girlfriend is 17 and she wants an emancipation. her parents are really crazy ans shes afraid of what will happen if she gets denied. If that happens, is there anything she can do about it. The tend to keep her away from everyone, even school. During trial would she be able to stay with a friend atleast until the trial is over? I need some answers ASAP.Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by ACc083
    I wanted to make a quick correction...

In response to the reply posted by "hopelessly in love", there isn't a single state in the United States that considers a 17 year old a "legal" adult. You must be at least 18 in all 50 states to qualify as a legal adult.
    Actually in GA your considered an adult at 17 in several matters. For example, at age 17 you can be tried as an adult for drug possession, in Alabama that age is 16. So yes you can be a "legal" adult in some instances at the age of 17.

Quote Originally Posted by farsideofdarkness17
    at age 17 you can be tried as an adult for drug possession
    This is true, but just because you can be charged as an adult if you commit a crime doesn't mean that you ARE an adult or that you have the rights of an adult. They are two entirely different things.

Question Need Help Now!!!!!

I live in Ga. I am 17 years old(be 18 in Dec.). I'm tired of living with my dad. We dont get along that much. Everything i do he always has to have a imput. And ever since i have moved in with him. I have been really really unhappy. And i have been living with him for 2 years now. I have a great long term relationship with my 22 year old boyfriend. I want to move in with him but i dont know if i can. I want to just leave with out my dad knowing. cuz if i told him he would flip out. I have a good job, that pays well. And i am still in school. And will still stay that way if i can move out. My boyfriend has a job of his own and a home with his brother and his girlfriend. So i wont be the only girl there. If you can help me plz do. I cant stand to be unhappy any longer. Thank you.

Super Moderator

When you are 18 you can live wherever you want. Until then, unless you have Dad's permission or you are emancipated by a court, you stay where you are. And I promise you, no court is going to emancipate you so that you can go live with your 22 year old boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by cbg
    When you are 18 you can live wherever you want. Until then, unless you have Dad's permission or you are emancipated by a court, you stay where you are. And I promise you, no court is going to emancipate you so that you can go live with your 22 year old boyfriend.
    Not only will the emancipation not be granted under these terms, but it is doubtful that the case would even be heard before she turned 18.

Default Moving out in Ga.

In Ga. you can move out at 17 without your parents permission if you are going to live with someone 18 or older since you can't get lights ect in our name. If you have someone you can move in with then talk to the people about it. Just remeber to finish getting your education so that you can make your life better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Haase
    In Ga. you can move out at 17 without your parents permission if you are going to live with someone 18 or older since you can't get lights ect in our name. If you have someone you can move in with then talk to the people about it. Just remeber to finish getting your education so that you can make your life better.
    No you can't! If you really believe that you can, feel free to point out the law that specifically states that you can.

Georgia doesn't even have emancipation laws that would allow a 17 year old to be considered an adult as far as I know.

Plus, moving in with someone over the age of 18 will leave that person open to being charged with harboring a runaway and contributing to the delinquency of a minor among other things.

PLEASE check the actual LAWS before you relay information in the future. Just because you heard that it legal from a friend, or even a police officer, does not make it true. Police officers are there to enforce and uphold the laws, not interpret them.

Michael18il

I left home at 15 because my parents were abusive. They reported me as a runaway; however, most police agencies (at least the ones in the Chicago-land area) don't really make an effort to track down runaways. If you runaway and don't want be found odds are you won't. I must say that living in your own is very tough; few people in the world care about what happens to you. If you are resilient and determined to leave it CAN be done. I am now 18, I graduated from high school and I am in my sophomore year at Northwestern University.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael18il
    I left home at 15 because my parents were abusive. They reported me as a runaway; however, most police agencies (at least the ones in the Chicago-land area) don't really make an effort to track down runaways. If you runaway and don't want be found odds are you won't. I must say that living in your own is very tough; few people in the world care about what happens to you. If you are resilient and determined to leave it CAN be done. I am now 18, I graduated from high school and I am in my sophomore year at Northwestern University.
    Michael, check your private messages.

sign up for low income housing we may be able to assist you http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lowinc...ng-assistance/[

QUOTE=Lonesome]I live in Douglasville, Georgia. My parents are giving me a very hard time at home and I was wondering if I can move out of the house without their permission. And if I do, what will happen? I have a great job and I get paid really good, the place I wanna go to is very safe and is a lot bigger and better, I'll actually get my own room, I must get out of here, whatever it takes! Please help! [/QUOTE]

Default Low Income Housing

Quote Originally Posted by Lexie07
    I turned 16 in march and my boyfriend turned 20 on june 6th. I live with my grandparents and they highly disapprove of us being together however my mom has legal custody of me and she doesn't care if we are together. I'm wanting to move out of my granparents and move in with him in a couple of months does anybody know if that is legal or how i would go about doing that in the state of Kansas?

PLEASE HELP!!
    Lexie
    sign up for low income housing we may be able to assist you http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lowinc...ng-assistance/[

Quote Originally Posted by shantella
    Please do not advise minors to try to find some way to break the law. As they are not at least 18, they cannot sign up for any type of housing or government benefits on their own.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Default reply

That minor might had a birthday and might now be of legal age now
    and I am not advising any one to break the law, this message is for all that seeks low income housing
    Quote Originally Posted by mommyof4
    Please do not advise minors to try to find some way to break the law. As they are not at least 18, they cannot sign up for any type of housing or government benefits on their own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast