Thread: Detective called me

Default Detective called me

OK a detective called me on Thursday at work and left a message on my work phone. I live in Washington State. He says "Hi Ethan this is Detective so-so from the so-and-so County Sheriffs Department. Can you give me a call when you get a chance? Thank you"

I have a previous felony in computer related crimes, but that was 6 years ago. I was arrested by the FBI, not the County or State. I think the reason a County cop is calling me is because I live in a city that doesn't have detectives of it's own, so it relies on the County cops for help. Why did he call my work phone and not my cell phone? Why didn't he come to my house and just knock on the door and maybe leave his card?

Anway, I'm scared and I don't want to talk to any cops. But I'm also affraid that if I call him he's going to want me to come down and do an "interview" and then he'll try to hassle me about stuff (which I don't need right now, my wife is 8 months pregnant). I also don't want him calling or coming to my workplace.

What should I do??? Not call him back?? Get a lawyer?? Ignore it???

Thanks
    Last edited by ethanwa; 07-24-2005 at 02:17 PM.

If possible, find a lawyer and maybe get one on retainer. Otherwise I'd tell the detective "I have nothing to say".

To the best of my knowledge they cannot force you to talk. They can, however, get a warrant for your arrest or search of your property/possesions. But even then they must have a reasonable cause to do this. They cannot do it "just because". Same with an arrest.

If you don't want to talk, don't talk and tell them to leave you alone. Otherwise you may have a case for harassment. Provided you havn't done anything to give them reasonable cause.

If you are that nervous, ask an attorney to t ake the call that you trust. A detective may be calling for any reason, so try to be calm.

Call and ask him what it is concerning and tell him you will not go to speak with him if can not tell you what it is concerning over the phone I know some one who had been in trouble with computer crime and a few years afterwards he was called by a dective it had turned out that they wanted his help in busting some people and he was paid quite generously for it also

Pixie- NO! Absolutely NOT! NEVER initiate the contact with a detective unless you are filing charges. REGARDLESS! If you do they will use it to their advantage, irregardless if you're innocent or not.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

grasmicc

Quote Originally Posted by ethanwa
    OK a detective called me on Thursday at work and left a message on my work phone. I live in Washington State. He says "Hi Ethan this is Detective so-so from the so-and-so County Sheriffs Department. Can you give me a call when you get a chance? Thank you"

I have a previous felony in computer related crimes, but that was 6 years ago. I was arrested by the FBI, not the County or State. I think the reason a County cop is calling me is because I live in a city that doesn't have detectives of it's own, so it relies on the County cops for help. Why did he call my work phone and not my cell phone? Why didn't he come to my house and just knock on the door and maybe leave his card?

Anway, I'm scared and I don't want to talk to any cops. But I'm also affraid that if I call him he's going to want me to come down and do an "interview" and then he'll try to hassle me about stuff (which I don't need right now, my wife is 8 months pregnant). I also don't want him calling or coming to my workplace.

What should I do??? Not call him back?? Get a lawyer?? Ignore it???

Thanks
    I don't know, have you committed any crimes recently? If so, then get an attorney and keep your **** mouth shut in the mean-time.

If not, then it might be a good idea to give this guy a call back and see what he wants. He might be investigating someone you know or work with. Maybe a former room-mate? Just ask.

If he starts getting too nosy about you personally, then hang up and see an attorney.
    Last edited by grasmicc; 08-13-2005 at 07:47 PM.

I say, call the detective back and if you don't like what you hear tell him not to contact you again. In the meantime I'd contact an attorney that way you will have one if you need one.

I have to agree with cactus jack tho, they do use it against you even if you are the victim or you are innocient.

Be careful just remember its your right to tell him not to bother you again and especially at your job, if it's information or questioning you do not like.

Good Luck

Ooops, you are right! sorry.....