Thread: New York State - Definition of what constitutes child support

Default New York State - Definition of what constitutes child support

I have recently been separated from my wife. We started going to mediation to resolve separtion issues. We made it up to the "memorandum of understaanding" stage, and then my wife pulled the plug on the meetings. I have been paying child support for my son for the last three (3) months (we separated on 2/20/05). My understanding of "child support" is that it covers expenses to support his well being. Recently, we had a situation where he needed to make a doctors visit. I paid the co-pay, and then we subsequently received a bill outlining the charges from the facility. Part of the unpaid charges was the per person deductible. I mentioned to my wife the deductible should be paid out of the "support" I provide every month (the visit was covered by health insurance). Is a covered health care visit that includes a deductible considered an item that would be part of the definition of child support? This deductible is a one time payment. Any published legal precedence I could quote from (This is in New York State)?

I found everything but what I was looking for at the New York child support enforcement website. Typically, parents will share medical costs 50-50. So the other parent is 50% responsible and not you 100% responsible. Typically, medical costs are a separate category than monthly support. But outside you providing child support, it should be 50-50 expense between both parents unless the court states otherwise. You may need to ask the court to stipulate that both parents are 50% responsible for medical payments beyond your providing insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by elklaw
    I found everything but what I was looking for at the New York child support enforcement website. Typically, parents will share medical costs 50-50. So the other parent is 50% responsible and not you 100% responsible. Typically, medical costs are a separate category than monthly support. But outside you providing child support, it should be 50-50 expense between both parents unless the court states otherwise. You may need to ask the court to stipulate that both parents are 50% responsible for medical payments beyond your providing insurance.
    Fortunately NY doesn't work that way. They consider the incomes. Medical as well as day care are additional. The NCP would be paying 17% plus med and childcare. If he makes more than 80k, it's at the discretion of the courts of the amount.