Thread: Please Read - Fired from FT job and they also made it impossible to keep my PT job

Default Please Read - Fired from FT job and they also made it impossible to keep my PT job

So today I was fired from my full time job of 5 years. They waited until 5 minutes before the end of my shift on the last day of the pay period. The boss came to me and told me to get my things, leave and I could not tell any coworkers goodbye. I asked why I was fired and he said I don�t have to tell you. I have never been counseled or written up and have always had good annula performance reviews. Also recently received bonus gift cards for outstanding customer service. This was in the medical field. I�ll call them employer A. I also work part time for employer B on evenings and weekends doing the same type of work. Employer B leases the facility from Employer A during the non business hours. Employers A and B are completely separate entities and I receive separate paychecks from each. Employer A called Employer B and told them they may need to find someone new to do their work because they are banning me from the premises. That�s where I have the issue. Employer B does not want to lose me as an employee and are being forced to go in another direction. Employer A also has not given employer B a reason for my termination. Also Employer A fired another employee months ago for arguing with management. This employee was not banned from the premises and was allowed to continue working for Employer B. This is where it gets even more messed up with Employer A. My supervisor with Employer A is the daughter of my grandmothers husband from a previous marriage. My step-grandfather was recently injured pretty badly with severe trauma to the head and lost his eye when a tree fell on him. My grandmother is unable to care for him on her own at home and has put him in a nursing home type facility. My grandmother and his daughter (my supervisor) have been on bad terms since the decision to put him there came to play. I was fired from Employer A within a month of this taking place. Should I look into hiring an attorney for wrongful termination from Employer A or more along the lines of descrimination since they allow someone else who was fired for something more meaningful than �no reason� to continue to work for Employer B in the same building ?

Super Moderator

A wrongful termination does not mean one that is unexpected or unfair; it means that there is a specific law that would otherwise prohibit the employer from firing you for the reason he did. What law do you believe Employer A violated by terming you?

Most of what the average Joe or Josie would consider discrimination is not ILLEGAL discrimination. What characteristic protected by law do you believe Employer A used to select you for firing?

In case it is not yet clear to you, you have not so far provided any information to suggest that you were wrongfully terminated or illegally discriminated against.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Even if what you list is the truth (you are not sure if that is the reason for being fired), it is not illegal to fire someone because you are arguing with a family member.

Most states don't require the employer to give a term reason to the employee. What state did you work in?

Your former employer isn't telling your part time employer that you can't work for them. It is saying you are no longer allowed on their property. That would be an issue handled under the terms of their lease. It also isn't illegal to only ban some former employees but not others.

Best thing you can do is apply for unemployment and look for another position.

Default Thank you

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I live and work in Louisiana and understand that I can be fired at any time for anything. I am currently seeking new employment and have applied for unemployment which I believe they will try to deny. To me my firing seems to be part of a grudge between my boss and my grandmother and I just got caught in the middle. I just wanted a few others opinions before making a decision in trying to report them or hiring an attorney. I have set an appointment with an attorney because they are giving me a free consultation. In the mean time I will continue my job search as I do not like to rely on unemployment and it makes it easier to have more than one income in our household. Once again thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Super Moderator

To me my firing seems to be part of a grudge between my boss and my grandmother and I just got caught in the middle.

That may be. But even if so, that does not either a wrongful termination or illegal discrimination make.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.