Thread: Damage Done to Vehicle From Unmarked Pipe in Middle of Parking Spot California

Default Damage Done to Vehicle From Unmarked Pipe in Middle of Parking Spot California

I have an employee who was parking in a parking lot near a job site and when he went to pull out of the spot after work his bumper got ripped off because under the leaves on the ground was a 2" wide 7" tall conduit marker that was supposed to be removed by the cement company after the project was almost complete. It never was removed and now ripped the bumper on the employees vehicle. We contacted the city and got the General Contractors information, but they are denying any fault for the pipe still being there. They are saying that since he was driving the vehicle it is his fault. See pic of the pipe. Name:  chris lemus.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  69.6 KB
    Last edited by TraciVidal; 08-18-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: misspellings

Was this a company vehicle or his own vehicle? Either way, report it to the correct insurance company, provide the GC's information and let them fight it out.

Quote Originally Posted by HRinMA View Post
    Was this a company vehicle or his own vehicle? Either way, report it to the correct insurance company, provide the GC's information and let them fight it out.

It was his personal car. His insurance (USAA) called the company and they told them the same thing "we arent responsible". They wont give any of their insurance info without his insurance sending a demand letter.

Super Moderator

Why will not his insurance send a demand letter? It is not unusual for all insurance companies to insist on demand letters.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Super Moderator

I was stopped at a light once, and someone ran into me. The police got called and we exchanged insurance information. Several days later I got a call from the other insurance company say that a "determination" had been made that I was 50% at fault and needed to sign a document to that effect. Whose "determination" I asked? Sign the document was answer. What happens if I do not sign the document I asked? Sign the document was answer. Thanks, but no thanks was my answer. I was told I would be held 100% at fault if I do not sign the document. My response was "go for it". This went on for 1/2 hour, and then I told them bye-bye. Not surprisingly the police report said I was stopped at a light and 0% responsible.

Insurance companies lie and play games all the time. Do not play their game. Talk to YOUR insurance company and tell them to deal with it. You do not care whose fault the pipe is.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)