Thread: Texas Custodial parent being harrassed by Father

Default Texas Custodial parent being harrassed by Father

My daughter is a single mother working hard to provide for her 10 year old son. She's got a nice apartment, he has his own room, clean, safe neighborhood and living conditions.

I'm not exactly sure what it is called, I've been told she is the legal custodial parent. I know that the father gets the son every other weekend and 1 day per week, 1 month per summer. That is a rough understanding on my part. (the father picks him up during those times when he feels like it).

Her and the dad were never married, he's a convicted felon (robbed 4 banks) and has bipolar and maybe other issues. He isn't paying child support regularly even though he's supposedly workin

None of us want to prevent the son from spending time with the father. But here is the problem(s).

The father is constantly starting fights with the mother (my daughter), being a jerk and trying to control her, starting arguments with her and blowing up her phone with phone calls and text messages.

I've advised her to only respond what she is legally required to and nothing more, nothing less. But what can she do if anything to prevent this harrassment?

There hasn't been any threats of violence on her or anything, just threats to take her child away and calling CPS (he did call CPS, they investigated her and deemed there to be no problems).

I suspect the answer is nothing can be done, but it just doesn't seem like it's ok for him to harass her like this. If it were any other person she could block his phone number from calling.
    Last edited by willy32111; 04-17-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Super Moderator
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, my wife and I use cozi, which is pretty good, but not designed for dealing with child parents who are not married. I'll look into it.

If he was interested in co parenting, this would be great. He isn't arguing custody times or paying much attention to his son's life, he's more focused on arguing on what she should or shouldn't be doing. If we pay for this, he may refuse to use it and remain focused on trying to control and lecture her in the guise of his child's interest.

But I'll give it a serious look. Maybe she can block his number and provide a link to the app and say communicate through that.

Thanks, I like the idea.
    Last edited by willy32111; 04-17-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Auto correct put in wrong word

Is that an option? Blocking his text and phone calls and referring him to the ap?

Cause actually that is the solution, if they never have to communicate directly, it can be routed through a legal channel. It would be perfect if every message and phone call is routed through the legal system vs him harassing her.

There is no way he'd pay $99. I was hoping $99 per year was for 2 parents.

We can't even get him to pay child support. If we paid for it, I don't think he'd use it.

Thanks though.

Super Moderator

So she goes back to court and has the court order that he use it.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.