Thread: nominated for special committee but since pregnant can't fly to main office. Georgia

Default nominated for special committee but since pregnant can't fly to main office. Georgia

I was nominated for a special committee out of many people in my company.
    But i'm pregnant and can't fly after 7 months pregnant. I could attend 1 meeting but none after that until I had the child.
    So I can't attend these meetings.

But everyone who attends gets a special bonus trip. I won't get this because i can't fly.
    I feel this is unfair for me and if someone was disabled and couldn't fly they can't get this special bonus. I was nominated due to my hard work.
    I would love to attend but I can't due to medical reasons.

In today's day and age technology could let me attend via video or phone.

Super Moderator

Tell me, are you in a same sex marriage? Because in previous posts you've had a wife, and a wife who was returning from maternity leave.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

No LOL
    sometimes its easier to speak as my wife.

we are working on our second child this time.

It may be unfair to you, but I am not sure what accommodation you want the employer to make based on your pregnancy/disability. Did you mean attend the meetings via video or phone so that you earned the trip? Are the winners all going the same place at the same time? Would you even be able to fly at the time of the bonus trip? Many people earn bonus trips and don't get to go for one reason or another. I don't see any legal reason why your employer would have to provide that value to you elsewhere if there was not a choice to everyone between the trip and another benefit (such as a cash bonus).

There may not be any reasonable accommodation to you not being able to be there for the meetings in person -- Not all meetings are geared to long distance availability (I know because I telecommute from 1000 miles away). There are often discussions and activities that are missed that aren't on the agenda or that can't be done via teleconference. Part of the goal of getting everyone on the committee together is to meet in person. If they were able to meet their goals/objectives via the phone/computer/internet systems then they wouldn't need to fly anyone to the corp office.

(I am a mom too..... and yes there are times that I missed out on company activities due to that fact. If you dont' have kids yet, this is something that you will learn on your own.....years ago, I had just had my son when DH got a trip to Miami for all employees and spouses. I could not travel or go. It stunk. But you know what was better? Holding that precious healthy baby boy)

eta: good catch cbg....why are you speaking for your wife? Does she truly have a problem with this or are you looking for something to claim? At some point in life, you have to learn not all decisions made by the employer are "fair" in your eyes. And making a big deal about them can be a career limiting move....and it seems based on prior posts that you both have a lot of those....
    Last edited by hr for me; 04-17-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Super Moderator

Sometimes your credibility suffers when you speak as other people, too. Particularly since a review of your past posts shows a history of whining, "it's not fair".

Seriously, just exactly what do you/your wife expect the employer to do? Change around all the arrangements to suit your convenience? How is that fair to the other participants?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

I might be over protective of my wife. So works so hard and seems to get stuff like this at the wrong times.

But I was asking as both someone pregnant or disabled/can't fly.
    My aunt can't fly due to medical conditions and I was thinking what if she worked so hard and got something like this but can't fly it could kill her
    you don't get the bonus and such seems unfair that's all.

not trying to start anything just curious. I learn by asking questions.

when i worked in restaurants the chefs hated me I would always bug them how to make this or that. But I can cook now not great but i can make a decent meal.

Super Moderator

Amtrak. Greyhound. Enterprise Rent-a-Car.

Sometimes life isn't fair. Not everything that is unfair has a legal remedy.

The bonus seems to be given due to the time spent on the committee as well as traveling. Since your wife can't put the time into the committee, why would she be entitled to the bonus?