Thread: Accused of Falsifying Information! California

Default Accused of Falsifying Information! California

When I initially applied for unemployment benefits I clearly wrote in the application that I had been working 8-hours a day, but I am now working only 2-hours. So when my checks started to come, I assumed they took into consideration that I am working part-time.

Then, my part-time job went from 2-hours per day to 3-hours. So I called to notify them of this increase.
    At this time they told me that I should have been reporting my part-time job hours on a weekly basis!

Then they told me I've given them false information and I'm going to get penalized. They've setup a phone Interview next week.

If I had intended to defraud them, I obviously wouldn't be calling in to report the increase in my work hours.

Any advice? What do you think is going to happen to me?
    I'm sure they're going to want back the over-paid amounts, but how big is the penalty? Will I face any other consequences.

This is what happens when everything is automated and there is no one to see face to face when submitting the application.

We had a part time employee this recently happened to. After the hearing they sent a notice that they would be deducting the money they had overpaid from future payments. The letter they sent clearly stated they felt she had not attempted to defraud them, but a mistake had been made that needed to be rectified. My advice is tell the truth. You'll owe the money back, but it won't be considered a crime as much as an error. However, there are much more experienced folks here who can explain this all better than I.

While receiving UI benefits you are required to report any earning your receive each week.

You should have received this document when you filed for UI. http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de1275a.pdf

Look on page 17 about halfway down the page.