Thread: California ui California

Question California ui California

I exhausted my claim and my 1 year will be up soon. I haven't worked since separation from my previous employer. Is the nonearnings in itself a disqualification ?

Super Moderator

Yes, you're not going to qualify for a second claim if you didn't earn anything during the first.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

OK that's what I thought but couldn't find it , thank you. Fslkiw up question though. If NY landlord has aliwed me to be a "contracter" to work off rent would that help me qualify? Would it have any adverse effect on him, and would 6 months at 350+/- per be enough? I was drawing max at 450$ per week. Thank you for your help.

Work performed as an independent contractor does not count as you are not paying into the UI system.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

And yes, bringing it to attention of a government agency that your landlord is illegally paying you under the table (which is what forgoing your rent is) could definitely get him in trouble.