Thread: 16 and pregnant Oklahoma

Question 16 and pregnant Oklahoma

I'm 16 and pregnant and also engaged, am I legally an adult to where I can move out? I'm almost 4 months and I haven't told my mother. What are my rights? My mother doesn't want me to live in her house anymore.
    Last edited by Rosas; 01-27-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Super Moderator

No, you are not and no, you cannot.

You are medically emancipated, meaning that you, with the help of your doctor, can make your own decisions about your health care and that of your baby. You are NOT legally emancipated; you do NOT have the right under the law to move out and with the exception already noted, your rights are whatever your mother says they are.

There is no state in the US where a pregnant minor is considered a legal adult for any reason but the above, and no state in the US where a pregnant minor can move out without permission. Pregnancy does not cause legal emancipation and in fact makes it even more certain that you will not be legally emancipated. Not only will it be more difficult for you to fulfill the requirements, but you've just proven that you need more supervision, not less.

Finally, in your state an emancipated minor can do exactly one thing that a non-emancipated minor cannot, and that is sign a contract. Even an emancipated minor in your state does not have the right to move out without permission.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rosas View Post
    My mother doesn't want me to live in her house anymore.
    Where does your Mother want you to live?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.