Thread: 17 y/o guy in Wisconsin dating 16 y/o girl in Michigan

Default 17 y/o guy in Wisconsin dating 16 y/o girl in Michigan

Via google I found threads similar to this, but nothing that answers my specific question.
    Currently, I'm 17 (soon to be 18) and live in wisconsin. my girlfriend lives in Michigan and is currently 16 (soon to be 17).
    The age of consent in Wisconsin is 18. In Michigan it is 16, so once I turn 18 we shouldn't need to worry about anything legally, right?

Its not quite that simple. How do her parents feel about this possible relationship?

Super Moderator

The age of consent is 16, but the age of majority is 18. Which means that even though the state won't throw you in jail if you have sex, her parents can still make life quite miserable for you if they choose to. Until Princess is 18 and not one minute earlier, her parents OWN her and she doesn't do anything but breathe without their permission. If they say NO to dating you, then it's no and the law will back them up, even if you're pure as the driven snow and haven't done anything more racy than hold hands.

Quite clear enough for you?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Quote Originally Posted by panther10758 View Post
    Its not quite that simple. How do her parents feel about this possible relationship?
    Yeah her parents love me.
    Legally speaking, we shouldn't have anything to be afraid of, right?

Super Moderator

I'm not going to give you a blanket permission without more facts from you. What, exactly, are you concerned about? What are you thinking of doing that you "legally speaking" don't think you need to be concerned about?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    I'm not going to give you a blanket permission without more facts from you. What, exactly, are you concerned about? What are you thinking of doing that you "legally speaking" don't think you need to be concerned about?
    In addition what have you already done? Exchange of nude or semi nude pics/videos/chat etc. You say her parents love you will that continue if they find out you are having sex or sexual activity with their daughter?

Super Moderator

You see, son, there ARE legal challenges you could face in the long run, depending on the circumstances. So you might want to be a little more specific about what you think you've got covered.

And in the meanwhile, keep everything you've got covered.