Thread: Holiday Pay/Overtime District of Columbia

Default Holiday Pay/Overtime District of Columbia

I work for a company that we got holiday pay (1.5 our rate) for New Years Day. I worked 47 hours that week and wasn't paid the over time. My company says that because the "holiday pay" was at the 1.5 rate i'm not eligible for overtime pay. Is this correct?

Super Moderator

Let's put it this way.

In the District of Columbia and in 48 states (and in some circumstances in the other two) there is no requirement that you ever get paid a premium for working on a holiday. An employer may offer it if they choose to, but other than in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and not always there, it is never required by law.

As far as the law is concerned, if you were paid the equivalent of 40 hours of straight time and 7 hours at time and a half, you were paid correctly.

Off the top of my head I don't know what agency oversees wage and hour issues in the District. Someone else (ElleMd? Betty3?) may know. Whoever that is, MIGHT agree that you are due additional pay IF you have a written agreement AND if that agreement is written in such a way as to be contractual. But for the most part, your employer would appear to be legal under wage and hour laws.
    Last edited by cbg; 01-12-2017 at 05:33 AM.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.