Thread: new person makes more than me Missouri

Default new person makes more than me Missouri

Ok, so we hired a new person 18 months ago. Well corp did away with her position and put her in my dept. She has been here under 2 years and I have been here 14 years. I NEVER have called in sick, been late, or written up. I have done my job. My problem is they let her keep what she was making as a supervisor . She is now under me and making more than me. My boss said she is is making what everyone should be. I said what about me, he kinda laughed and said she wont be here long. he thinks she will quit. SO what, she is making more than me. I am the ONLY disabled Vet in my region and I wonder if that has something to do with it. IDK , just pisses me off. Can I play the poor me game with them or can I get my point across with some legal terms ?
    thanks

Unless this perrson is making more money than you specifically and directly because of your race, gender, age, religion and/or disability, then you have no legal recourse.

Super Moderator

There is not anything illegal being done here as long as you aren't being discriminated against due to your disability or other protected category such as religion, race.....

Even if it seems unfair to you, unfair does not always mean it's illegal.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

It is not even remotely unusual for the people who have been with an employer the longest, to be making the least. It is called market compression and it is an unfortunate fact of life in American business. I'm not going to try to tell you it's fair; clearly it is not fair. But the law doesn't give a hoot whether something is fair or not, only whether it is legal, and this is legal. There aren't any laws that are going to force your employer to change things, and, if I may say so, playing "poor me" is a very good way of painting a target on your own back. This is such a prevalent situation in private industry that it is quite unlikely that your status as a disabled vet has anything at all to do with it.

The best way to convince your employer to raise your pay is to show your value to the organization. NOT "I've been here longer and Sally makes more than me" - I've seen people fired for that. But "I reorganized the inventory system to save the company $20,000 a year" or "I landed the Johnson account which is adding a hundred grand to the corporate bottom line". Is it a guarantee? No. But at least it doesn't violate two major rules of dealing with managers - (a) using a comparison with someone else's pay to show why yours should be different and (b) whining.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

I'm not going to say that this wouldn't stick in my craw too, it would. But the way to get a raise is NEVER to compare your pay to coworkers pay. First of all, payroll SHOULD be confidential. You shouldn't know how much she makes, and if she was unprofessional enough to tell you, you should pretend you never heard it. Saying "Suzy Sunshine makes more than me and that's not FAIR" makes you sound like a whiny child complaining their older sibling got some privilege they didn't. And trying to use your disability will play even worse.

Instead talk about yourself-your value and what you bring to the company. Raises are based on three things:

1) Your contribution to the company
    2) Change in circumstances-you took on a new title/responsibilities, got more education, etc.
    3) Market value-but if you are going to use this one, the way to do it is to research the average salary in your area for your position. Not point out what your coworkers make.

It is quite common to keep someone's salary the same, even if they change jobs. If this supervisor position was at another employer, offering the same salary might have been a way to get her to accept the position. It is extremely common and totally legal.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Default thanks

I brought this up to the regional VP who corrected the problem the following week. I'm now a happy camper.lol

Super Moderator

I'm glad things worked out for you.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Default Good work!

Glad your were able to resolve this through communicating. Sometimes it can be hard to speak up but that's often the best way