Thread: refusal to take rent California

Angry refusal to take rent California

My husband and I usually pay rent using a barcode given to us from management and paid at 7 eleven. It got denied and then tried to pay online and it said they can't accept payments. Now what do I do??Send it certified??? How can I fight this? Just had a death in the family, my husband is sick, our dog got injured and this couldn't have happened at a worst time. When we called the manager, he said they weren't accepting our rent and he couldn't tell us why.

How late are you on the rent? Is it possible eviction proceeding have been initiated by the landlord?

If your manager doesn't know I am not sure how you expect us to know. Contact the landlord or property management company directly. Read your lease and what it says about acceptable methods and means of payment.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

I am in Property Management. The usual reasons not to take rent are that you are in process of being evicted or you are attempting to pay less than the full amount due (including late fees). If a property is being sold that is another reason not to take rent. My company has a process in place where we take rent up to the final day of ownership but smaller companies do it differently.

I do agree with Elle that you need to investigate higher up the food chain. Also do not use the rent money for anything else. You will need to make that payment at some point.

Super Moderator

If you are living there, you will owe the rent. As HRinMA noted, do not spend the rent money.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.