A payroll question:
Given that an employee needs to pay:
- Federal taxes
- State taxes
- Before-tax benefit deductions
- After tax benefit deductions
- A child support garnishment
- An court order for a child's health insurance (included in the before-tax deductions)
- (this one is a bit complicated but) Repaying the employer for some after-tax benefit deductions that were not taken at the time due to a retroactive change in eligibility status (it's a REALLY long story but we allowed him to reinstate a non-qualified dependent for several retroactive months and we're spreading out the repayments instead of taking them in one huge chunk)
And given that the paycheck is not big enough to cover all of the above, what is the order of precedence for the above?
My boss and I are both questioning that the deductions were taken properly, but before we go to Payroll we agreed that I would check in with you all.