Thread: FMLA HELP PLEASE Ohio

Default FMLA HELP PLEASE Ohio

I have Intermittent FMLA for bad knees. I got a bad case of poison ivy and miss work because of it about 10 days. My employer used fmla days towards my poison ivy. Is that allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Middlebaer View Post
    I have Intermittent FMLA for bad knees. I got a bad case of poison ivy and miss work because of it about 10 days. My employer used fmla days towards my poison ivy. Is that allowed?
    FMLA is for any serious medical condition that lasts longer than 3 days. If the doctor's note states you must be out 10 days, then it would qualify.

I feel for you -- every time I get into poison ivy/oak, my reaction gets worse!

You might think about it this way....wouldn't you want your job to be protected for the 10 days you were out due to poison ivy? That's the whole point of FMLA. I understand you don't want to use up hours you might need due to your intermittent leave for your knee, but overall you have a bank of FMLA protected time regardless of what it is used for. And being out 10 days for poison ivy is definitely a serious health condition that would fall under the FMLA regulations. Your employer is actually required to protect your job and benefits during this time if you and they meet eligibility or face very negative consequences for not doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by hr for me View Post
    I feel for you -- every time I get into poison ivy/oak, my reaction gets worse!

You might think about it this way....wouldn't you want your job to be protected for the 10 days you were out due to poison ivy? That's the whole point of FMLA. I understand you don't want to use up hours you might need due to your intermittent leave for your knee, but overall you have a bank of FMLA protected time regardless of what it is used for. And being out 10 days for poison ivy is definitely a serious health condition that would fall under the FMLA regulations. Your employer is actually required to protect your job and benefits during this time if you and they meet eligibility or face very negative consequences for not doing so.
    Yes that's a good way to look at it thanks. I was just confused because HR asked me for a doctor note so I was thinking it wasn't going under FMLA. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Middlebaer View Post
    Yes that's a good way to look at it thanks. I was just confused because HR asked me for a doctor note so I was thinking it wasn't going under FMLA. Thanks for the help.
    The doctor's note is used to determine whether FML is applicable.