Thread: Need help understanding AZ maternity leave laws Arizona Arizona

Default Need help understanding AZ maternity leave laws Arizona Arizona

My daughter is due the end of October and I have been thinking all along she will receive disability pay while on maternity leave. However; I'm only basing my thoughts off of what I had with her when I lived in CA. The more research I do, it seems as if AZ doesn't provide any sort of disability pay for mothers after giving birth. Is this correct? By law they have to be give them up to 12 weeks of unpaid FMLA time if they are full time employees. I think it's 6 weeks for a vaginal birth and up to 12 for C-section. Other than that, am I missing something? I would appreciate any help given. Thanks!

Super Moderator

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/1421.htm (complete FMLA regulations)
    If the employer & employee meets all the requirements for FMLA (see link above) -
    A covered employer must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave in a 12 month period for one or more of the following reasons:
    for the birth of a son or daughter, and to care for the newborn child ...............
    (She can get time off for the birth & to care for the baby.)

Unlike California, Arizona does not have a short term state DI plan for residents/employees.
    Last edited by Betty3; 07-31-2016 at 11:01 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

There are only five states that mandate disability pay. California is one of them. Arizona is not.

That doesn't mean she won't be paid; it means that it is up to her employer whether she is paid or not. Many employers offer it voluntarily. However, only in CA, NY, NJ, RI and HI does the law require that they do so. I believe there are also some isolated municipalities here and there but pay is up to the employer almost everywhere else in the US.

Federal law requires up to 12 weeks of unpaid, protected leave for the qualifying conditions of the qualifying employees of qualifying employers.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator

Some employees/women have their own short term individual DI policy with pregnancy covered.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.