Thread: Ideas for Tracking Hours Worked using HRIS Technology at Multiple Job Sites Indiana

Default Ideas for Tracking Hours Worked using HRIS Technology at Multiple Job Sites Indiana

We are a large Construction General Contractor and for years have been relying on the Foreman (Supervisors, usually Union) on tracking and reporting hours for their crew on paper, then submitting it to Superintendent to code those hours (for different jobs and activities), who then send it to Payroll who manually inputs those hours each week (for the most part). We know their significant wage theft e.g. buddy punching, Foreman giving extra hours to their union buddy, as well as just poor tracking e.g. a Foreman has to have his crews' hours in by a deadline and he just arbitrarily gives them hours as best as he can recall.

We have been looking into different HRIS systems with Timekeeping and attendance features and the technological capabilities are quite impressive. But without having intimate knowledge of all the technology available and how it interacts with the software, we are having trouble figuring out a system and procedure for tracking these hours that will work consistently. Of course the sales people aren't much help as they either say, whatever you need us to do we can do or it depends on your needs.

So I figured I would reach out to you'll and see how some of your companies with large project sites and a good number of mobile workers utilize an HRIS to track and report time worked. Any ideas or suggestions would be a big help.

Thanks in advance.

I have used ADP for 16 years. It can do what you need. I use it for multiple sites. There is an app that an employee can punch in on or you can set up hand punch timeclocks (biometrics) to ensure the person punching is accurate.

If your employees are travelling to a lot of different locations that change a lot over time, you might look into a system where they have a call in clock that can track the number called from and the gps position to check if they are where they say they are. I know one company that does this (they are the vendor for a very large retailer who has a lot of truck drivers/warehouses and they manage their timeclock issues for that subset of the very large retailers population). It is separate though from the HRIS/payroll system although the data feeds those systems, I think. If you want their name/referral, please let me know. I don't want to advertise/spam the board with their name though as they haven't paid for advertising here. We looked into it for one of our smaller companies, but don't have a big enough need and my COO likes to do things the old fashioned way....

We also are a General Contractor. We have been using HCSS to track the time. Employees sign their in and out times to ensure accuracy.
    It is tough to guarantee "buddy punching" but there still ha sto be trust and audits done , especially on prevailing wage jobs.

Super Moderator

Find out exactly what you need to collect for Time Accounting data. Just start/stop times? Or maybe job #, part # and other stuff. Make sure any new TA system is correctly specified against actual requirements.

Regarding "buddy punching" and other games, FIRE SOMEONE. Keep firing people until the problem goes away.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)