Thread: nuisance bar problems-sound New Jersey Pennsylvania

Default nuisance bar problems-sound Pennsylvania

hello,

I live on a quiet creek in Pennsylvania. Over a year ago, a bar was built across the creek from my property. The bar routinely plays music until 6 in the morning, and has several other issues with its drunk patrons. I have contacted the PA LCB with no success. It has been 14 months and I still do not have a hearing for the two documented noise complaints for the bar. Bar is in one Township, I am in another. Township the bar is in has told residents in several meetings that they have no intent of enforcing the sound ordinance.

I have been in contact with the PA State Police, since they enforce the PA Liquor Code. Basically was told by the officers that the info keeps getting documented and stored in their file with someone higher up pulling the reports then officer resubmits paperwork. I speak with them on a weekly basis.

My question here is about this sound traveling across township lines. My township has a reasonable and fair sound ordinance. The township where the sound is generated has a noise level of 80db with is pretty much ear destruction. Trying to find the statue to tell the cops in my township where they are allowed to cite the bar even though it is in another adjacent town.

Any guidance is appreciated.

When you contacted the police in your township and reported the noise what were you told? You can't force them to act. Have you contacted the owner/manager of the bar? The police in that township when it is actually loud? I have no idea who said what to whom and when, "Township the bar is in has told residents in several meetings that they have no intent of enforcing the sound ordinance." Townships can not speak and it would be odd for leadership to randomly announce they do not intend to enforce a sound ordinance. Of course, it is their ordinance. If they wish to repeal it or not enforce it that is their prerogative.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by ElleMD View Post
    When you contacted the police in your township and reported the noise what were you told? You can't force them to act. Have you contacted the owner/manager of the bar? The police in that township when it is actually loud? I have no idea who said what to whom and when, "Township the bar is in has told residents in several meetings that they have no intent of enforcing the sound ordinance." Townships can not speak and it would be odd for leadership to randomly announce they do not intend to enforce a sound ordinance. Of course, it is their ordinance. If they wish to repeal it or not enforce it that is their prerogative.

it was a complete ordeal to get police from my township out. I had to explain to a dispatcher three times that I had spoken to a captain who told me to direct the dispatcher to send out an officer from my town. I have had one officer cite the bar for disturbing the peace. The second officer had no intention to help. I know the bar has had several cop and politican nights where they ate/drank for free. We both know how that works. The police in the offending township have come out and did nothing but tell me this was a nuisance call and that calling 911 for these calls was a crime. When I laughed at them and told them I called the non-emergency number they seemed to get a little more upset. The mayor, public safety director, director of building and planning and their attorney all told me it is within their rights to no enforce the PA liquor code in meetings with residents. Yes it happened with witnesses. The sound ordinance in the offending town is something like 25 db more than the one acceptable in mine. The PA Liquor code state that there is to be no sound audible across property lines.

I know pollution (including sound) can be cited for every place it passes through. Just trying to find law/statute. Thanks.

Super Moderator

Unfortunately, your recourse is likely through the courts and not the police. You should consult a local attorney about the laws regarding "private nuisance" in your state. A private nuisance refers to an activity that does not involve physical trespass, but interferes with an individual's reasonable use or enjoyment of his or her property. Excessive noise from a nearby business is considered a private nuisance.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!