Thread: Missouri Teen Mom in Foster Care

Default Missouri Teen Mom in Foster Care

I am 17, which I know means I can legally move out, but I was wondering if that applied even though I am in foster care? I will be 18 in August but was told I could be in state custody until Im 21. I am tired of moving from home to home and I have the means to support me and my son.
    Please help.

Super Moderator

It is less that it is "legal" for you to move out as it is that a quirk in the way your state's law was written means that law enforcement officers are sometimes - not always, but sometimes - reluctant to return home a 17 year old who is in a safe place. Make no mistake, a 17 year old in Missouri whose legal guardians really want them home, is going to find herself back home.

In your case, where you are in foster care, it is unlikely in the extreme that you would not be picked up and brought back to where you are supposed to be. The legal age of majority in Missouri is 18 so it is likely that after you are 18, you would be allowed to leave unless there are extenuating circumstances of which you have not told us. But a 17 year old mother who is already in foster care is not going to be allowed to move out on her own, and if you try it, you may find that after you are brought back to where you are supposed to be your circumstances are worse than they are now.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.