Thread: Is this Wrongful Termination California

Default Is this Wrongful Termination California

I am a resident of California but was working for a Virginia Corporation. In a conversation taped by my cell phone app, My CEO told me that if she figured that she could no longer pay my salary, she would give me 60 days notice to start looking for a new job. I agreed to continue working for her under this agreement made in mid-January of 2016.

On Friday, March 4th, I was laid off with a formal letter. I was given no notice.

Do I have standing?

Super Moderator

Based on what you have posted, no. This isn't anything even close to a wrongful termination. It's quite unlikely that the "agreement" was legally binding and if she can't afford you, she can't afford you.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator

Agree not a wrongful termination. It doesn't sound like there was any legal binding employment contract - only a verbal agreement.

You can apply for unemployment insurance.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

BTW, it wouldn't have been a wrongful term even if it had been an enforceable contract. It would have been a contract breach, but it still would not have been a wrongful term as the phrase is defined in law.

For there to be a wrongful termination, there must be a specific law that the employer violated by terming you.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

OK thanks. So not a wrongful termination just a POS employer.

Appreciate your time