Thread: Acquiring Clean Title after seller preforms a "title jump" West Virginia

Default Acquiring Clean Title after seller preforms a "title jump" West Virginia

I purchased a vehicle while visiting family in NH this past summer. When i bought the vehicle i paid with cash and the person who sold it to me gave me the title and a bill of sale. The title had already been signed over to the person who sold it to me because she had purchased it from her father a few months before when he went into a retirement home. In NH you do not need a title to register a vehicle, so after stopping at the DMV to get the plates and realizing that i could not register it there since i have a West Virginia licence, I had a family member co-register it in their name since they are a NH resident and so on. Well the time came for me to head home while the car was still registered in NH. However here is where it got complicated. When I got back to West Virginia, I was told by the DMV that I could not register the vehicle in my name since the person whom sold it to me performed what the law refers to as "title jumping". So after a few weeks roll by I was told by my neighbor that since I possess the vehicle after 6 months I can apply for a clear title. However they could not remember who to go to. I am asking if this is true that once the 6 months of me having it in my possession I can apply for a clean title, and if so who do I go to in order to do so? I purchased the vehicle in July of 2015 and did not come back to West Virginia till November 2015. Would the 6 months in my possession start back when i got the car or would is start when i got back to WV? also the title is made by The Common Wealth of Massachusetts. if that matters at all.

When you called the DMV and asked them what their process is, what were you told?
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.