Thread: Ohio State Tax Collection - Not Mine Ohio

Default Ohio State Tax Collection - Not Mine Ohio

I received a notice at my home from a collection agency in the mail for unpaid tax against a business. (The State of Ohio gives their debts to 3rd party collectors). A little googleing told me that this must be a business that a former owner of my property ran out of her home. This person is long gone, she's not even the person we bought the house from. I called the collection agency, so far have not received a call back. I'm concerned that this will continue to come up (the state of Ohio never gives up-I know from experience in my profession) and/or someone will try to file a tax lien against my property. What steps should I take to protect myself?

Hey Ferret, sounds like a hell of a pickle. Well, first things first, demand they prove the debt. Demand proof of the original debt. Then provide them with proof of when you purchased the property. And make sure you document everything on your end.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!