Thread: Do I have a case in Pa? Pennsylvania

Default Do I have a case in Pa? Pennsylvania

Good morning,

So, to make a long story short. I was married for 11 years and a mutual friend of mine and my ex husband was having an on again off again affair for the past 16 years. I was living in Maryland and decided to move back to be more involved in my daughters life. This so called friend of mine helped me by getting me a job where she is the manager. While working there she was still involved with my ex husband and she would make snide remarks about him and I having a relationship when they were not talking or screwing around. So, after several years of working there I was finally terminated for stupid mistakes that added up to 1 big thing. Several times when I closed registers at the end of the night money would be missing from the register and a few times they came up over in the morning. Now mind you, towards the end I thought I had covered myself by having one of the associates I was working with double count the amounts with me present and we got the same result. Now, another bit of information is, another girl I worked with was disliked as well and her life at work was made a living hell prior to her dismissal as well. My ex husband has recently informed me that the boss lady who he was having an affair with had told him several weeks prior to her dismissal "the boss lady" had made the comment to him she was gonna have her fired. Do I have a case? Does she have the right to discuss firing somebody because she has a personal problem with them? I know for a fact she is about to fire somebody else because she doesn't like them either. Help please!

Super Moderator

Do I have a case? A case to file for unemployment, yes. A case for wrongful termination or some other legal recourse, no. Google at-will employment.

Does she have the right to discuss firing somebody because she has a personal problem with them? It's not very professional but it's not prohibited by law.

I know for a fact she is about to fire somebody else because she doesn't like them either. That's a shame but it's not your concern. And it's not illegal.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator

I don't see anything illegal here. You just can't be terminated due to a reason prohibited by law (ie religion, race.......) or unless there is a binding employment contract to the contrary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

I have no idea why you thought working for your husband's mistress would end well for you, but it is not illegal for her to fire her boyfriend's ex/wife. It is also not illegal to discuss personnel matters with those outside the company.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Super Moderator

Since this is the second time I have deleted a spam post from this thread, I am locking it. If Karen has additional questions, she can PM me or another moderator and we will either unlock it or instruct her on how to start a related thread.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.