Thread: Libel and Facebook Arkansas

Default Libel and Facebook Arkansas

A family member has begun to use Facebook to cause harm to other family members. I noticed a few months ago that she started a page dedicated to child sexual abuse. She originally claimed that her father's youngest brother had molested her when she was a child. (She is now 48) At that point I gave her the benefit of the doubt. I wasn't a member of the family when this supposedly happened and I didn't know those involved very well. I could only assume that no one would make up such stories about a family member.

Recently she posted several photos of this man that she took from his FB page, once again claiming he had molested her. The photos included the man's wife. My father-in-law, another of her father's brothers, saw the post and called her father and asked him to talk to her. He felt she had gone too far by posting this on FB. The day after that call she posted on this FB page that my father-in-law had also molested her. Then she posted that her mother's two brothers had molested her. Then that her mother's sister had helped a man drug her so that he could rape her. When my sister-in-law challenged her about the stories on that page, she then said that woman's husband was also a child molester -- that she had proof she had already taken to the authorities about the woman's husband.

She claims she remembered none of the abuse until just a few years ago when she was diagnosed with disassociative identity disorder.

This has been a horrible nightmare. There is no way my father-in-law did any harm to any child. He and my mother-in-law are wonderful, sweet people who have always helped others. They let other family members live with them when jobs were lost over the years. Often he was the only one working in a household of 10 to 12 people. Many families with children (with daughters) lived with them throughout the years. In fact those children (now adults) have spoken up to say none of these claims against him could possibly be true because he had never been improper with any of them. My husband's daughters lived with his parents when he and his first wife divorced. They are also shocked by these allegations.

Facebook doesn't really provide any options to stop the lies. I've tried reporting the page to no avail. I did see a post yesterday by a true victim of child sexual abuse (no one I know) who had come across the page and wrote that the woman owning the page could not possibly be a victim for her stories didn't sound right. Of course that post was later deleted.

No one can figure out why she has begun to post these things. She seems unhinged, and angry at anyone who challenges her. My husband tried to talk to her about it but she resorted to name-calling and screaming. The other crazy part about all this is that while this was all supposedly happening (according to her over a period of 9 years) she lived in a completely different state from any of the men she is accusing.

On a side note, for months she had another FB page stating she was a trainer (Beach Body) and that she had lost a lot of weight herself. Oddly she never posted a photo of herself -- the usual before and after stuff. She only posted head shots that were heavily photo-shopped. When my husband's aunt went to visit her she found that she had lost no weight. It had all been lies. That page has since been abandoned.

Is there any way short of hiring an attorney to get FB to stop the posts? It's crazy that one can post anything on FB and nothing can be done! Ah, progress!

I think the best route would be for family members to hire lawyer to write a letter to her threatening lawsuits if she continues with the lies. Iy would probably be only a few hundred dollars.

If that doesnt work, one of the people mentioned should sue in small claims for libel.

I think she's mentally ill and that her illness will become apparent to anyone who reads her FB page. (It certainly became apparent to me just reading your description of her FB page!) I think that most people will not take her rants seriously enough to cause any damage to you and your family members.

Thanks for the responses. She has recently removed the photos of my father-in-law and the relatives on her mother's side of the family. She never did use names, just the photos. I'm letting it go at this point. The uncle remaining may fight this battle since his photo is still posted.

However, should she decide to try again, we will go to an attorney. I'm hoping this bit of craziness has ended for my in-laws, they are heart-broken over it being family. Sometimes an attorney is the only answer. Thanks, again.

Quote Originally Posted by maghdental View Post
    On a side note, for months she had another FB page stating she was a trainer (Beach Body) and that she had lost a lot of weight herself. Oddly she never posted a photo of herself -- the usual before and after stuff. She only posted head shots that were heavily photo-shopped. When my husband's aunt went to visit her she found that she had lost no weight. It had all been lies. That page has since been abandoned. web design
    Oh how bogus.