Thread: Work in CA for a Pennsylvania Non-Profit California California California California

Lightbulb Work in CA for a Pennsylvania Non-Profit California California California California

I work full time in CA for PSU which is a non profit in PA. PSU HR just confirmed that they don't offer SDI or any voluntary benefits. Is there any way I can get SDI/PFL?

Thanks in advance!

Google is your friend http://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Thank you for that, but in reading it I believe I have to pay in to it to be eligible? I'd like to pay into it but to do so, I file a claim?

It's a tax that should be withheld from your paycheck. Even if your employer is in PA, if you are performing work for them in California, they should have registered to collect this tax from you and remit it on your behalf, if you are working for them as a W-2 receiving employee. (Note: if you are an independent contractor receiving a 1099, this would not apply).

Thanks ferretrick- Penn State said that California told them since they're a non-profit they don't pay the SDI, that's what HR told me atleast. Sound like something I should challenge/pursue?

Super Moderator

Approximately 13.1 million California workers are

covered by the SDI program. The law requires coverage for

employees working for employers with payrolls in excess

of $100 in a calendar quarter. There are a few exceptions.

Those specifically excluded are:

Some domestic workers.

Some governmental employees.

Employees of interstate railroads.

Employees of some nonprofit agencies.

Individuals claiming a religious exemption.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de8714c.pdf

Note some nonprofit agencies excluded for SDI. Also, you only qualify for PFL if covered by SDI.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

I was unaware of the exemption for non profits Betty cited. I'm sorry, I know this isn't the answer you want, but no, there would be no way for you to get into the SDI system on your own if your employer is not required to participate. The only thing you could do is look for disability insurance on your own from a private carrier, but honestly, if you are already pregnant it will probably be excluded as a preexisting condition. (Health insurance cannot do pregnancy as a preexist, but disability can. This prevents people from getting the coverage when they learn they are pregnant, and cancelling immediately after having the baby).

Thank you all!

I am planning ahead, so that's the good thing...I'm hoping I can get the benefits decision maker to see the benefits of offering voluntary short term disability - in terms of employee satisfaction and retention.

Super Moderator

Just want to briefly hijack the thread to welcome ferretrick! Good to see you, old friend!
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator

Right - I should have said hi & welcome to LLT to you also, ferretrick. (Sorry for the hi jack.)
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Keep in mind that any disability policy is going to have a waiting period, and that is typically 6 months to a year.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Super Moderator

It would still be nice if the employer would start offering a DI plan in the future though employees can always consider buying an individual one. You can't wait until you need it though to buy it.

Thread hijack *thanks guys!*

There are a lot of things that would be nice but there is no obligation for the employer to offer a plan and setting up a new one is not an easy matter. By all means ask, but even if they agree to do this at some future date, it may not be on your timeline or with the terms you personally would like to have. If you expect to need this coverage in the future, start looking for your own policy now. You might check with insurance carriers and companies you already use to see if they offer this. Even some credit card companies and mortgage companies offer policy options. In terms of cost, bundling the premiums with other services can be your best bet.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ferretrick View Post
    Thread hijack *thanks guys!*
    You're welcome. Good to see you here though I see you on occasion on another forum.