Thread: Company lost 4 times in Court, still won't pay

Default Company lost 4 times in Court, still won't pay

I work in Arizona, a right to work state. The company I work for has a Union in place. I have worked here for 20 + years. Our Union is the local I-60 IAFF. We have not had a contract with our Company since 2012. We have been in ongoing negotiations since our previous contract expired. The Company has chosen to uphold parts of the old contract and drop others until we come to an agreement. I'm sure you can guess the parts they dropped have to do with money.

Our Union has taken them to court via the NLRB 4 times over items they have dropped. Each time the Union wins and the Company is ordered to pay up. They refuse saying its only the Labor Board, the decision isnít worth the paper its written on.

The Company has also gone behind the Unions back offering employees a reduced payment option if they just sign here.

My question is this. I am not a Union member but as im sure you know we all are under that same Union umbrella. I want what is owed me. The NLRB ruled that it was an unlawful reduction in pay. Since we are now into year 3 of negotiations, the Company has lost 4 times and has now appealed it AGAIN, what can I do to get my money from the Company?

What you are asking is far beyond the scope of a message board. If the courts/NLRB can't settle this, strangers on the internet are not going to be able to either. Were you an actual member of the union, I'd suggest speaking with union leadership about this. As you are not, you are not automatically entitled to any and all benefits even if they are due members. There is also no law which requires raises, so long as you are making minimum wage.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by ElleMD View Post
    What you are asking is far beyond the scope of a message board. If the courts/NLRB can't settle this, strangers on the internet are not going to be able to either. Were you an actual member of the union, I'd suggest speaking with union leadership about this. As you are not, you are not automatically entitled to any and all benefits even if they are due members. There is also no law which requires raises, so long as you are making minimum wage.
    I was not looking for answers from a message board. I was more looking for some possible thoughts on this or suggestions that I might have over looked, such as your suggestion to speak with Union Leadership about this. To clarify I am a past Union Executive Board member that is now a Union member. This has nothing to do with a raise, this post was about the Company changing the Pension plan while not under contract as well as cutting our pay while not under contract. But I guess I gave this site a little more smarts than was do. I mean the title is LABOR LAW TALK.

No need to be snarky. ElleMD answered your question (i.e., "what can I do to get my money from the Company?") fully and accurately...and politely. And I really don't understand why you're so PO'd at her for stating that you're not a union member, given that she got that idea from you when you said "I am not a Union member." Did you change your story just so's you could jump all over ElleMD?

Super Moderator

I took the post the same way Elle took it.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

You're referring to the I'm-not-a-union-member comment? Agree, pretty hard to misunderstand a direct statement like that!

Super Moderator

Mainly yes & I don't know how we can help the OP.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

I can only answer based on what is shared. The OP doesn't mention anything about pensions but denies union membership. For someone who claims to be a past executive board member, I would think that talking to the union would be the first thing to come to mind and not something which would require outside suggestion.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Default Just now saw this ..

When I started this question back in 2015 I thought it was straight forward; I was wrong. Fast forward to 2016. The Company was purchased by a larger Company, and they have settled most of the issues.
    To clarify some of your "issues" with my original question.
    As I had said, I worked for this Company for 20+ years. I initially was a Union member and sat on the board for five years. Then things got a bit shady. The Company had more input into what and how the Union operated than the board or the members. That is when I left the Union and the Board. For many years they were pretty powerless. Membership dropped to almost nothing. In the past few years a new President was elected, a new, educated board was put in place, and things are looking up. And yes I am currently a Union member.