Thread: Live and work in MN for a CA company. California California

Default Live and work in MN for a CA company. California California

TI live and work in MN, and work for a CA based company. I've been employed for 2+ years. All ~40 employees telecommute from across US and Phillippines. Some are full time, some are part time, some are full employees, some are contractors. The company has no maternity policy, so I'd be their first employee to even need it. What are the applicable laws? What should I think about in terms of negotiating a policy for the company?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Japperson View Post
    TI live and work in MN, and work for a CA based company. I've been employed for 2+ years. All ~40 employees telecommute from across US and Phillippines. Some are full time, some are part time, some are full employees, some are contractors. The company has no maternity policy, so I'd be their first employee to even need it. What are the applicable laws? What should I think about in terms of negotiating a policy for the company?
    Since you work in Mn., Mn. law would apply. There isn't enough employees for FMLA to apply. Mn. has a Family/Medical/Pregnancy leave law but there has to be at least 21 employees at one location. It seems, from what you posted, this law doesn't apply either.

However, the Mn. Human Rights Act applies to employers with one or more employees & protects pregnancy against discrimination. Therefore, your employer would have to allow you as much time off as they would allow a similiar employee off with a disability other than pregnancy (example broken leg).
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.