Thread: Identity theft? New York

Default Identity theft? New York

Hi all question I was married for 17 years I left wife lived Ĺ mile away anyway she passed away in august just 2 weeks ago I got a letter in mail saying student loans are now due. They are something called parent plus. I contacted them and asked them to send me paperwork with my signature and all that good stuff. it seems my wife used my ss# and took these loans out in my name for my daughter without my consent the account has here phone number her email my address they are in my name and for a lot of money. What do I do If she were alive I would have her arrested? Any help I canít afford to pay these I am taking care of my other children thanks

First step is to talk to your daughter and ask her about the circumstances of how the loans came to be. She would have had to be involved in it. If she went to school, then she should be repaying the loans.

Next step would be to contact the loan company and explain the fraud. However your daughter may end up with legal issues due to her involvement in the loans.

Super Moderator

It's possible if things can't be straigtened out, you "might" need to get a lawyer involved.

Good luck.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Were you legally separated or legally divorced or just moved out? If you were still legally financially tied to your wife and she signed as a parent/co-signor with your name, that might be a marital debt even if it is fraud against you and lawfully her debt and not yours. That debt may or may not be discharged with her death if it is viewed as marital debt.

It could very well be that your daughter is expecting to pay these back herself. For your sake, I hope that is the case.

However, I would still seek the advice of an attorney familiar with marital assets and debts. Because even if your daughter starts paying them back, if she ever defaults this issue WILL come up again unless you solve it now.

Super Moderator

New York isn't a community property state. However, there is always a possibility you might be liable. See what a lawyer says if necessary.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Thank you all i am going to retain a lawyer

Super Moderator

You're welcome. Talking to a lawyer I believe is your best bet.