Thread: Please Help! Crazyness below! Georgia

Exclamation Please Help! Crazyness below! Georgia

Hey everyone!

My issue is quite messy, but I am in a bit of a bind and unsure what the best option is. I would appreciate any help!

I have a Dodge Caliber. The car is paid and I have the title in hand. Georgia will not let me register the vehicle, get new plates or tags because my father is also listed on the title. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but my issue is a little crazy. I am originally from Illinois. My father lives there now. I can send him the title and ask that he signs, but I am afraid that he wont sign it and keep the title because I have a restraining order against him and my mother. I have a sneaking suspicion that they would keep the title to mess with me.

Does anyone know of a way to get around this? Can I send a letter stating that I am have sold the vehicle so that he would sign even if I sell it to my wife (and not tell him). Can I sell the car to my wife? Is there a minimum amount that a car can be sold for? Furthermore, can I get a letter from my lawyer asking for a temp plates and tags? As of right now, the local tax official wont give me one. She said that it was a legal matter and I was basically SOL. Thirdly, is there a way to register the vehicle back to Illinois at a relatives house?

I really need some answers soon. I would contact my lawyer, but he is out of town for a few weeks on vacation! I was pulled over yesterday by an officer. my tags were expired. He, thankfully, let me go with a warning, but cautioned me to hurry as others may not be as kind and it is GA law to impound a vehicle without a current tag.

Rich

Why not photocopy everything, including the restraining order, and take those into the DMV and explain/discuss it with a supervisor? If that don't work, then their supervisor. Sooner or later someone somewhere will have to either give a really good answer backed up by statute or allow you to license the car.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!