Thread: What should i look for in a lawyer?

Youngone

Default What should i look for in a lawyer?

I need to find a lawyer to rep me in my grievance hearing with my past employer. I am charging them with a retaliation charge ..I feel they they used the harshest punishment to retaliate against me for using FMLA in the past as well as reporting a coworker in house on a hostile work environment claim. I only need the layer for the length of the hearing and I guess I should meet with him/her prior. I don't know where to start though..is an attorney and lawyer the same thing?. Plus I live in a small town...how can I make sure I don't pick one of my bosses buddies?

You are going to have a very hard time finding an attorney to represent you because you don't have a case.

Youngone

Quote Originally Posted by eerelations View Post
    You are going to have a very hard time finding an attorney to represent you because you don't have a case.
    I can show that people accidently falsify documents , the same thing I was fired for but nothing is done. Policy does not differenciate reason or cause for doing so. I can show that there can be bias due to sex in firings. The same coworker that I waged an in-house complaint of hitting me and comments based on my sexuality was the same one that worked with me the nights of the offense. I can show he's been under many serious investigations yet got off with the benefit of the doubt each time..including my in-house complaint months ago. If anyone can assist me in regards to my question I would apreciate it.

Well, if you are in a small town, the pool of lawyers is going to be small. Findlaw.com has a 'Find a Lawyer" feature. You might also talk to friends and family and get their recommendations. You need someone who specializes in employment law. I would meet with more than one, just to get a better idea for who is out there and what they charge.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Youngone

Quote Originally Posted by ElleMD View Post
    Well, if you are in a small town, the pool of lawyers is going to be small. Findlaw.com has a 'Find a Lawyer" feature. You might also talk to friends and family and get their recommendations. You need someone who specializes in employment law. I would meet with more than one, just to get a better idea for who is out there and what they charge.
    Thank you ElleMD.

Super Moderator
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

...which show clearly OP doesn't have a case.

Super Moderator

Yep - think I will close this thread also (other 2 closed) so OP doesn't continue on trying to convince us there is a case like in the other threads. OP can certainly talk to a lawyer & Elle answered OP's question in this thread re locating a lawyer. No need to leave it open.
    Last edited by Betty3; 05-13-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.