Thread: Educate Me - Louisiana

Unhappy Educate Me - Louisiana

While I know your employer can pretty much fire you at any time for anything, what if it is over an accommodation request? I recently made two accommodation requests in the format I learned from going to the JAN website and talking with some of the nice people over there. I tried to educate myself as best as I could, and when I made the requests, which were not outrageous or anything, a few weeks later they decide to fire me without really a reason. Other than they no longer needed my services.

It was an IT desk job that did not involve any customer contact. I was asking for an accommodation for two separate disabilities; which meant documentation from two separate doctors. One was for a modified dress code for the nerve pain I suffer from and the other was a modified work schedule to help cope with my clinical depression.

The result of the requests, about a few weeks after, was my termination.

I'm now afraid to ever make these kinds of requests again, I was just trying to make things easier so I could be a better employee; and nothing I asked for was something that wasn't commonly happening in the work place to begin with.

Thanks for any help in educating me in this matter, for I am ignorant of Labor Laws, Acts, and Regulations.

Super Moderator

While depression can be covered under the ADA, it isn't always. When you made the request for the accommodations, did you request them under the ADA (mention ADA)?

What type of modified dress code & modified schedule did you require? Thanks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Yes, the accommodation's first paragraph stated my intent and what law I was trying to invoke (ADA).

The modified dress code was to be able to wear khaki shorts. My left leg suffers from nerve pain because of a shatter tibia plateau fracture. After all the surgeries my skin from the knee to my foot became highly sensitive to touch, so every fabric that I put around it causes pain all day long, and it's very distracting.

Super Moderator

What type of modified work schedule would you have needed? Was it something the employer could accommodate?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

And what is the usual dress code? What was your position? Is the nerve pain anticipated to be ongoing or is it likely to lessen as the leg heals?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.