Thread: Possible city induced home flood? Virginia

Default Possible city induced home flood? Virginia

I am the last house at the bottom of an incline on a street with a cul de sac. So the far right side of my property forms about half of the cul de sac. There is a creek that surrounds my house. There is a greenway where people can run/walk etc across from my creek. The city decided to build a wood bridge (walkway) that connects the cul de sac to the greenway. Yesterday we had a flashflood. The walkway ended up acting as a dam to the creek (that turned into a gushing river due to rain) and it finally gave way and the water uprooted it (so now the walkway is totally displaced and lodged downstream). When the water uprooted the walkway the backed- up water gushed into my yard and nearly caused my house to flood. My question is can I hold the city liable for constructing a walkway that can cause my house to flood due to their engineering and the proximity of my house in relation to the walkway?
    Last edited by DoIoweU2?; 07-11-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Super Moderator

You might check with your city's/county's building & zoning dept. regarding where it was built.....
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Default Theres more

Quote Originally Posted by Betty3 View Post
    You might check with your city's/county's building & zoning dept. regarding where it was built.....
    Thank you and what specifically would I be looking for in regards to where it was built? I might add that I dont feel the wood walkway was built on my property. I had to imply it so people that wished to understand the logistics would possibly be able to picture what Im saying. This is hard to explain without pictures. But as I said I just wonder if the city can be held liable if the walkway that acts as a dam in flashfloods causes my house to flood.

Also, I went to cut the grass today but I couldnt because the wood walkway took my utility building with it when it swept over my yard. Now my building is sitting on the bank across from my yard- with the walkway resting beside it. Does anyone know if the city would kindly return my building to my property free of charge? I understand the flashflood was an act of nature but that walkway caused that water to backup. By the way they built this within the last two years it was not there when I bought the house. Or does anyone feel I may eventually have to retain a lawyer 1. For the day my house does flood and it appears it was due to the walkway obstructing the natural water flow 2. In the case I have to pay to get my utility building back on my property, to be reimbursed. Yes I do have home insurance but Im afraid they will drop me if I use them for this, I already had to file when we had that terrible wind storm about a year ago.

Just so you may see from my point of view-Im not sue happy, Im just a single female living check to check (for now) that is afraid of suffering loss(es) due to this newly built walkway.

Thank you
    Last edited by DoIoweU2?; 07-11-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Super Moderator

The reason I said to contact your bldg. & zoning dept. was to verify that it was ok to build the bridge where they did. When "things" are built, they sometimes have to be a certain distance from other things (such as other buildings) or built only in certain areas.

It's possible you may end up needing to talk to your homeowners ins. co. & see what they say or talk to a lawyer.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

The reason I said to contact your bldg. & zoning dept. was to verify that it was ok to build the bridge where they did. When "things" are built, they sometimes have to be a certain distance from other things (such as other buildings) or built only in certain areas.

It's possible you may end up needing to talk to your homeowners ins. co. & see what they say or talk to a lawyer.

OK thank you. I am trying to get in contact with someone from the city now to find out if they will move my building when they eventually move that bridge (I found out the correct term is a pedestrian bridge). Maybe I'm bias but to me the bridge is clearly at fault. My utility building is now facing the same way it faced on my lawn the only difference is it is offset in the trees across the bank from my yard. Its almost funny to see, if only that bridge was flat and not ****ed in the air, it would look like the bridge was leading me from my yard, over the creek to my newly placed utility building. I hope I still find this a bit humorous after talking to the city.

Thank you again.

Oh, I didnt know I couldnt use the word c. o. c. k. e. d.
    Last edited by DoIoweU2?; 07-12-2013 at 05:25 AM.

I agree you should speak with your city or town. However how long ago was the bridge built? The town could argue the flash flood was a freak natural occurrence that they couldn't have foreseen when the bridge was put up.

Quote Originally Posted by HRinMA View Post
    I agree you should speak with your city or town. However how long ago was the bridge built? The town could argue the flash flood was a freak natural occurrence that they couldn't have foreseen when the bridge was put up.
    The bridge was built in 2011. Yes I agree they could use that argument. I feel justified in using the argument that they failed to consider the impact a flash-flood would have on a property (mine) that resides downstream of the creek and pedestrian bridge. So by not considering the impact of various states of weather, they put me in danger of risking loss unnecessarily.

Thank you.

Super Moderator

It certainly will not hurt to talk to someone from your city or county. Good luck.

It certainly will not hurt to talk to someone from your city or county. Good luck.
    Yes. thank you so much Betty3...and all.

Default In case anyone is interested here is the email I sent to our city engineer(s)

I didnt send it with a confirmation so If I dont hear back I will print it and send it certified mail:

Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 6:06 AM
    Subject: displaced pedestrian bridge

Good day:

I am not sure what division I need to contact so hopefully the recipient of this email will channel this to the proper division.

I live at XXX. A pedestrian bridge connecting the cul de sac on XXX to the XXX greenway was built (as you know) in 2011. This bridge bordered the edge of my yard, thus my yard is downstream of this bridge. I have two concerns. 1. When we had the flash-flood 7/10/13. The bridge acted as a dam, it obstructed the gushing waters until the waters finally gushed forth and uprooted the bridge. This caused a massive surge of water to fill my yard and it very well could have caused my house to flood. In other words, although the flash-flood was an act of nature, the newly constructed walkway has the potential to induce a flood on my property due to logistics and how the creek responds to flash- floods. 2.When the bridge was uprooted, it swept my building downstream with it. My building is now offset directly across the bank from my property in the trees; in the same orientation as it was on my property, the pedestrian bridge now bookends it. I assume the city will eventually recover the bridge, I am curious to know if the city will also recover my building when it does, free of charge.

Thank you for your time, and I do appreciate the work you put in to making XXX a more attractive place to live. I'm sure many of you are home/property owners and can understand my cause(s) for concern.

I'm sorry, I meant to clarify- my "building" is my utility building...storage shed, not my house/dwelling.

Respectfully,

XXX

Super Moderator

You're welcome & once again, good luck.