Thread: Sign fell on my car in a parking lot. Colorado

Default Sign fell on my car in a parking lot. Colorado

Hello,

So, while I was inside getting a haircut, the wind blew a "no towing" sign over and onto the hood of my car. The damage wasn't huge, but it made a decent dent, tweaked the hood, and left some paint scratches. The sign itself was on one of those metal posts that goes into the ground, but clearly wasn't deep enough to prevent the wind from pulling it completely out and push it over. My question is, would anyone be responsible for this and potentially be on the hook for at least helping pay for repairs? I already called the towing company and they said it wasn't their problem and to look up the property owner. I'l be calling the property owner on Monday, but I somehow doubt a property management company in L.A. will care much about a sign in Colorado. Anyone have any advice on this? I don't really have the money right now to have to deal with this.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Super Moderator

Did you report the "accident" to your car ins. company? I would & see what they might be able to do for you.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Contact the property mgmt company...best if you have pictures or witnesses. ( i do hr for a prop mgmt company and we would reimburse for something like this)

Quote Originally Posted by hr for me View Post
    Contact the property mgmt company...best if you have pictures or witnesses. ( i do hr for a prop mgmt company and we would reimburse for something like this)
    I do HR as well for a residential property management. We would report any claims to our insurance company and let them decide. Wind causing a sign to fall over may be considered an act of God depending on how the sign was secured.

Document it as best as you can, including pictures and if you can get witness statements all the better. Turn COPIES of those into your insurance company, and let them handle it.

When I talk insurance rates with my neighbors, sometimes they'll laugh at my coverage. I have excellent coverage and low deductible. $100 comp and $250 collision. Because I rarely have any claims, it's cost effective. I guarantee you, that damage from the sign is gonna be more than $100 (I used to do auto body).
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Super Moderator

I agree with cactus jack; as I noted previously - go through your ins. co. That is what they are there for.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.