Thread: Canadian- Personal Injury Case help

Default Canadian- Personal Injury Case help

Hi ,
    I am from Canada and I hae been unsuccesful in finding a canadian forum to get answers. My ex husband got into a no fault accident and he was deemed catastrophic and falls under the benefits before the new changes and is entitled to substantially large amounts for income replacement, furur care and costs and attendant care/housekeeping etc under the Accidents Beefits claim with his insurance company. I was taking care of him during the ast four years since his accident and our relationship suffered due to his accident. He was a changed man after the acident and i felt like a widow!! We have three small kids and they suffered as well . He went through a lot of assesments and medical tests and was now at the verge of settling his case by his personal injury lawyer. Our marriage had suffered a lot and unortunately we separated six months ago. I really tried very very hard for our marriage to work but he was a lost cause. I have no entitlement to his claim as we are separated now although I was the one who gave up my life to take care of him and dealt with everything like single mother and a widow!!!Although we had so much going on I never got any help with counselling...but now I am feeling the accumulated stress coming and it is affecting me a lot. I cant sleep, cant eat , cant stop crying and cant stop thinking that had the accident not happened I would have been living happily with my husband and family would still be intact. The accident ruined my life. I gave up my career to look after him and the kids and the house and ultimately our marraige suffered and now we are separated. I have just recently found out that I should have been given counselling during the time after his accident as his accident diredctly affected me as well. Iwas never given that opportunity nor did we get any marriage counselling although my ex weekly had his on pschologist appointmnets to deal with his issues. I have been told that I can still call his AB provider and ask for a claim form and say I need help with conselling and stress. Can anyone guide me if this is something worth persuing and what is the entitlement ? What is the process and what do I say to the insurance after four years????I know i did lose everything becase of this accident and am now suffering because of it. Please help!!!
    Last edited by FrustratedandTired; 03-26-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Super Moderator

Since this is a US law forum, you might want to talk to a local attorney.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

It's not that we wouldn't be willing to help you if we could. But US law and Canadian law are not the same, and it would do you no good for us to answer you with US law that isn't valid in Canada.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Super Moderator

Here are a couple of Canadian legal forums you might try or either talk to an attorney in your area.

http://legal.advicescene.com/ca/questions
    http://legalcanadacommunity.com/forum
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty3 View Post
    Here are a couple of Canadian legal forums you might try or either talk to an attorney in your area.

http://legal.advicescene.com/ca/questions
    http://legalcanadacommunity.com/forum
    Thankyou to ALL!!! Really appreciate your help!

Super Moderator

You're welcome.