Thread: Minor moving out WITH parental consent Iowa

Default Minor moving out WITH parental consent Iowa

ive been searching everywhere and have to find concrete proof ( such as sources or resources ) for my case. My question is is it possible for me, as a 17 year old, to move out of my parents house in the state of IA WITH my parents consent. We had an argument discussing this saying even if i was allowed to or they say i can that im not allowed to due to laws restricting me to do so. Can someone help me out please. I i just need some proof or something that say that i am allowed to or not, to move out of my house WITH (i dont know how much i wanna stress that) parental consent. Because all i find is kids trying to get out with out their parents allowing them or knowing without emancipation. I have a job and will be attending school once enrollment is open, and i will b moving in with a friend of mine who is 18.
    Last edited by laoboy; 07-15-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Super Moderator

If you are looking for a specific law that says that 17 year olds are allowed to move out as long as they have their parents' permission, you won't find one. It doesn't exist.

It is true that a 17 year old may move out with parental permission, but not because there is a law that says he can. It's because there isn't a law that says he can't.

However, before you get too excited, there IS a law that says that if your parents do not give permission, you can't. And there isn't anything whatsoever in the law that requires your parents to agree. So regardless of what laws you may or may not be able to find, if your parents say you cannot move out at 17, then you can't. End of discussion.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

I UNDERSTAND THAT MUCH THANK YOU I understand that in circumstances without emancipation a minor cannot move out without their parents permission. as for the "law" im looking for isnt one that directly saying what i can and cannot do i was just simply implying is that, in general, if and with permission am i allowed to move out and not have nu troubles with the authorities wise such as my parents saying im a runaway, or child endangerment etc and so forth. if u can answer that thatd b great but thank you for your input (O And i apologize for the capss i just realized they were on O.o_
    Last edited by laoboy; 07-15-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Your question was laws regarding moving "with" consent! There are none because there is no need, the Government assume parents would not intentionally permit a child to live in a harmful or dangerous situation. that being said if a child is in a harmful or dangerous situation children's services could remove child from situation and if parents were aware of thing sthey could be charged with child neglect/abuse whatever applies. Your searching for laws that dont exist. By the way if your parents do conent to a move they are still legally accountable for you and can revoke permission at any time forcing you to return home

ok ic, panther, with that being said i would b able to but my parents would still b held accountable.? could u describe the means of a harmful enviroment, because in my case i would just moving into an apartment with a friend whom ive known for quite some time. but in any incident, even with the given permission since they still have the rights they can have me returned home correct?. and im just double checking all my basis both for mine and my parents benifit so we are all on the same page. thank you

Use common sense you should know what would be a harmful, neglectful or dangerous enviroment

ok that was a stupid question on my part, but in reguard to my parents, i reiterate, they still have the parental rights thus allowing them to have me return home correct?. id like to stress this point so my family and i can find a common ground that way it isnt as if i was just running off and having no accountability.

It no different (poor example coming) than them giving you permission to go to Mall then changing their mind once you get there and telling you to come home

lol ic thank you for this now i will be able to worth this out, so i conclusion. as a minor without emancipation i AM allowed to move out WITH their permission, with the restriction (since they have the right) of having me return back. as long as its not in a harmful, negligent, abusive environment correct? i am allowed to do so due to the fact there is no law restricted against it other then the environmental factor and that they still are still in control until i am 18. and this is not an attempt to legal suggest i run away etc, this is trying to find an alternative that allows us to work things out until this upcoming year. thank you for answering my questions this has helped greatly

Your repeating same questions we have already answered.

IF the parents agree to let you move out, it's really simple.

Just have a lawyer draw up a consent form and have them and you in the lawyer's office and sign it. After that, you're on your own. Life is a party, but ya still gotta pay the bills. Eat what you want when you want, but you still gotta buy the eats. Which means.... MONEY. You're gonna need money. Which means you're gonna need....a job. And if you do it right, you can have a job, finish school, AND have a blast at the same time. It just means that you have to be responsible in time and money management.

If you don't have your parents permission, forget it.
    Let me know if you have any questions (I offer this specifically to you in this case as I was on my own at 17). I'm also working, and using a library computer, so my responses aren't always right away.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!