Thread: Didn't know a minor couldn't sign by their self on a title Indiana

Default Didn't know a minor couldn't sign by their self on a title Indiana

I am 17 and I bought a car in Kentucky, I live in Indiana, and signed my name on the title and now have the car in my possession. (I turn 18 in a month, does that matter?) Now I found out that this is illegal by looking at this site. Can I just have someone that is 18 or older put their name on it or is their a process that I need to go through?

As a minor (under 18) you cannot engage in a contract. Its possible you dont even own this car legally. Contact DMV they should have both answers and resolutions

Exclamation Das ist in der Doktor!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchsam View Post
    I am 17 and I bought a car in Kentucky, I live in Indiana, and signed my name on the title and now have the car in my possession. (I turn 18 in a month, does that matter?) Now I found out that this is illegal by looking at this site. Can I just have someone that is 18 or older put their name on it or is their a process that I need to go through?
    Yeah, park it and wait a month and don't drive it untill you're 18 and you have insureance.

.._________________
    ~ Free advice is like your public defender,
    …you get what you pay for. ~ drr

Default Can't believe I didn't ask this

So even though I purchased it as a minor I can just wait it out and then there will be no problem?

Somethinge else, I signed on the spot listed as "Transferee" and below that where it says "Name of Owner/Buyer" BUT I DID NOT SIGN THE VERY TOP. If I have someone (18 or older) sign at the top where it says "The undersigned owner hereby certifies that the vehicle described in the title has been transferred to the following (print name and address of the transferee):____________ "

Once again at 17 you cannot legally engage in a contract! The sale may be void and its possible you dont own car. I cannot say. The DMV deals with these issues contact them

A minor can enter into a contract, but could have the contract rescinded/voided, and it would not be enforceable by the other party. You could, if you wanted, return the car and be entitled to your money back. But if you want to keep the car, you can. It's not a two way street - you are protected but the other party isn't. As for your DMV, you should contact them. Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 355.3-305 (infancy is a defense). It is NOT automatically void, and in some states, a contracts for a 'necessity' like room and board, and in some states, cars, are NOT voidable.

Have you registered the car in Indiana? Do you have insurance?

As for the document you signed (transfer of title is what it sounds like), the seller should have signed the top part. You're saying they didn't sign it?
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Dodd View Post
    As for your DMV, you should contact them. Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 355.3-305 (infancy is a defense). It is NOT automatically void, and in some states, a contracts for a 'necessity' like room and board, and in some states, cars, are NOT voidable.

Have you registered the car in Indiana? Do you have insurance?

As for the document you signed (transfer of title is what it sounds like), the seller should have signed the top part. You're saying they didn't sign it?

No, I have not registered the car in Indiana because of this matter. I have looked at quotes but have not purchased anything yet, will probably buy it Monday. And yes, the seller didn't sign the top part. I went with my Grandpa to purchase the car. Should he have signed the places where I did? Does it matter that I paid the full price in cash?

Super Moderator

It's not that a minor cannot enter into a contract. It's that if you were to reneg on the contract, the other party would have no recourse because he cannot enforce the contract on a minor.

If you have no intention of reneging, it's sort of a non-issue.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Alrighty, thank you